Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Anyone have Planview Experience?

Level 4
Hi everyone, we have a large insurance firm who is considering Workfront along with Planview. If you have experience with Planview and can talk to the advantages of Workfront, I'd love to touch base with you. Would love to know your thoughts. Thanks! Sherry Arnold Workfront
13 Replies

Level 1
Hi Sherry, Planview has the typical enterprise requirements for PMO, however they are lacking from being able to have work and financials etc. in the single solution. To correct this Planview purchased Project Place in 2014 (which was an AtTask competitor in the past) and stripped out the functionality that conflicted with the Planview solution and positioned it at as an add-on offering for workforce collaboration. I believe it was last year that Planview purchased Innotas and now they offer these several tools to make-up a possible competing solution to WorkFront. During any of my interactions I was always left with a less than satisfied opinion and since the acquisitions were so new it seemed that they were simply trying to bolt things on in order to get things to somewhat work. Kind of like a MadMax vehicle compared to the clean smooth lines with a well built engine of a Lamborghini Aventador (WorkFront). :) Kevin Fortier

Level 4
Thanks so much Kevin. I very much appreciate you responding so quickly. Do you mind if I share your response with this prospective customer. If they're interested in speaking with you directly, would you be open to having a conversation with them? We'd love to leverage your expertise! Sherry Sherry Arnold Workfront

Level 2
Hi Sherry, I've used Planview in the past - happy to help out if I can. Josh Blackwood ADP, LLC

Level 2
Hi Sherry, I have a good deal of experience with Innotas (which is part of the Planview suite). If you needed details on that tool specifically, let me know and I can provide some feedback. Rich Blickley Jones Lang LaSalle Americas, Inc.

Level 10
Hi Rich – When we looked at purchasing a new work management system, many people voted in favor of Innotas. They said the cost accounting was far better than WorkFront. As we get close to contract renewal, they clamor to switch from WorkFront to Innotas. If you have an opinion as to the pros and cons of Innotas, I would sure appreciate knowing what you think. If you have time to indulge me, send an email to me at eric.lucas@crowley.com . Thanks! Eric

Level 10
We are coming up renewal as well and many folks are unhappy with Workfront. One of the reasons we chose it was for the built in proofing tool(ProofHQ). I would be curious to see which programs out there can offer proofing & accounting integration. Michael Lebowitz Marketing Analyst Michael.Lebowitz@guidewellconnect.com T 904-436-4240 | M 904-200-1364 Fax 904-565-6156 4800 Deerwood Campus Pkwy DCC 800-4-272 Jacksonville, FL 32246

Level 10
Great conversation! My Creative Services team has been inquiring about Workgroups DaVinci. Does anyone have knowledge to share showing the pros of Workfront compared to Workgroups DaVinci? Marie Kelly The MetroHealth System

Level 10
Hi - I'm not sure how long we'll be able to continue the thread of discussing the advantages of WorkFront's competition �� Eric

Level 10
LOL... I was having a conversation with someone else about the same thing. One advantage for Workfront to have this conversation is so they can see what other tools in the market place that "us" as the users are looking at. Just my two cents... Michael Lebowitz Marketing Analyst Michael.Lebowitz@guidewellconnect.com T 904-436-4240 | M 904-200-1364 Fax 904-565-6156 4800 Deerwood Campus Pkwy DCC 800-4-272 Jacksonville, FL 32246

Level 3
I worked with the main Planview solution a few years ago, both as a project manager and system administrator. It has a lot of capabilities, but you pay for those in administrative overhead, we had to dedicate headcount to keeping it current. The native reporting was not good. The nice reports and dashboards in their literature required additional expense to set up "cubes" to pull the data. From a project management perspective, it was also very clumsy to work with and the user interface didn't work well. My experience with Workfront has been much more positive. Therese

Level 1
Hi Again, I too asked myself that question Lucas and also feel the same as Michael. I think we can all agree that there is not one perfect solution and not one solution for everyone. It really comes down to requirements and requirements will help drive to the correct solution (hopefully). However, I have a couple questions for anyone thinking of potentially switching from any solution: Can you work with the current vendor to accommodate the changes that you require in the solution, and if so what would be the potential costs? Switching solutions especially PMO tools can be quite costly for licensing, infrastructure, architecture, integrations, training and more..., is there really the appetite across the organization to support the change? Considering the change will provide the desired results, would that be worth costs and efforts? These tough simple questions make people think differently about working to fix the solution they are using or provides comfort that they are making the right decision moving to a new solution. Either way, the more we keep talking and asking for improvements the better the solutions will become while strengthening our partnerships. Cheers, Kevin Kevin Fortier RBC Capital Markets

Level 10
Nicely said, Kevin. When I look at the objections to WorkFront, they boil down to: I love MS Project and don't want to learn anything else. WorkFront is too complex and too difficult to use. To them, I say "Legacy Gantt"; We can't trust the financials for labor, because WorkFront has no concept of different labor rates for different time periods. Yes, they are changing that for billing, and we can struggle costing projects out using Billing instead of the native labor cost (argh!), but as it stands, we use WorkFront as the system of record for hours and our financial system (argh!) as the system of record for dollars; WorkFront is so hard to use. I spent hours working on a plan and now its gone. It doesn't support linking projects together. I can't see what my burn rate is. There is no way to see if I'm overloading resources or not. I can't add any custom attributes to tasks or projects. There is no way to get a report that shows all tasks that are overdue...and on and on ad nauseum. These are all attitude issues. See, if they had a positive attitude they would ask for help, attend training, watch the YouTube videos, they would do something to find out how to get what they want. What they really want, however, is to complain and be cast as the victim; I think number 2, for us, is the only valid reason we look at other packages. Financial management is really important here and WorkFront can't simply or easily give us accurate labor cost. We renew our contract annually. Each year, I am required to do a market analysis (which is actually fascinating) to see what the competition looks like. So far, people who have complaint number 2 recommend Innotas to replace WorkFront. People who have complaint 3 will never be happy with anything, ever. People who have complain 1, surprisingly enough, recommend MS Project. I am well aware of MS Project's limitations and ask them how we overcome them, and their solutions are generally convoluted and cumbersome, so logic and reason obviously have nothing to do with their selection. They "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid">drank the Kool-Aid , as it were. When I ran Product Management at another company, I spent a lot of time talking to my competition's Product Managers (at trade shows usually) about the strengths of their product. I even got demos. I always gave demos to the product managers of my competition when they asked. I told them that if they are going to compare their product to mine, they better get it right. I learned a lot, and mostly learned that our "sweet spot" as it were, was materially different, and as such, our target audiences were different. There was only one company that had a directly competitive product and it wasn't as mature or feature rich as ours, but I think (don't know) their price point was lower. Anyway, I think that holds true for work management software. As I survey the market of work management software, it becomes readily apparent that they are all trying to carve out their niche in the overall work management tool market. I think WorkFront is really wanting to own the Marketing work management market. I have to say, having worked for another company who years ago went after the Marketing work management market, it think WorkFront has chosen the least travelled, most bumpy, difficult to traverse market there is. Anyway, Innotas is really good at some things WorkFront isn't. Workfront is good at a significant number of things Innotas isn't. The market is diverse enough that we need a diverse range of products. No one is going to "own the world" of work management. So let me provide an analogy. We're cooking a dish and want to have an onion-y quality to the flavor profile. We can choose from white onions, yellow onions, sweet (Vidalia) onions, shallots, green onions, spring onions, leeks, garlic, onion powder, and so on. Each one is in the onion family (okay, the allium famiily), but brings something different to the flavor party. You have to select the right onion for your specific dish. Likewise , there are lots of Work Management products, and you need to find the product that best aligns with your need. I know, I'm stating the obvious. When selecting software, I think sales people tend to want to focus on their product, not on fulfilling your needs. I worked with a sales guy at that other company (I think he is still there) who did fabulously. His trick was simple Рfocus on satisfying the customer's needs and wants, and don't focus on "selling" them something they may not need using emotional inertia. He only discussed features and capabilities that aligned with their needs. He made the value patently obvious. He was a rare sales guy. Anyway, when looking at software, spend more time determining and prioritizing your needs than looking at software. Don't buy into the emotional pull that some sales people employ. Its all about you, baby. Thanks for reading my ramble. I do love chatting about this stuff. Eric ------Original Message------ Hi Again, I too asked myself that question Lucas and also feel the same as Michael.¬† I think we can all agree that there is not one perfect solution and not one solution for everyone.¬† It really comes down to requirements and requirements will help drive to the correct solution (hopefully).¬† However, I have a couple questions for anyone thinking of potentially switching from any solution: Can you work with the current vendor to accommodate¬†the changes that you require in the solution, and if so what would be the potential costs? Switching solutions especially PMO tools can be quite costly for licensing, infrastructure, architecture, integrations, training and¬†more..., is there really the appetite across the organization to support the change? Considering the change will provide the desired results, would that be worth costs and efforts? These tough simple questions make people think differently about working to fix the solution they are using or provides comfort that they are making the right decision moving to a new solution. Either way, the more we keep talking and asking for improvements the better the solutions will become while strengthening our partnerships. Cheers, Kevin Kevin Fortier RBC Capital Markets

Level 1
I second these comments on Planview. I worked with it at a very large company. Clunky is the word. To be fair, the company ignored Planview's advice on how to implement the security model, and thus wound up with an installation that performed miserably, and occasionally corrupted its database and went down. But even without the performance issues, it was clunky. Somebody got the VPs to experience a day in the life of a project manager. They then realized how much time was being wasted fighting the software, and changed to a competing product. I've been involved in 3 PPM tool installations in a pretty big way. The main lesson is this. The tool must not get in the way of day to day work. If you want people to keep, e.g. Planned Cost up to date, then it must be easy for them to do so. And they must see what they get out of it. Both those factors are essential. In every PPM installation I've been involved in, management asks people to do things in the tool that they don't perceive as providing any benefit to them. So they figure out how to do the minimum to stay off the monitoring and control reports the central PMO might run, and that's that. If they can't use Planned Cost to generate their weekly status reports, they aren't going to keep it current. I am using it at a program level, and I know I can't trust it, because I know people aren't keeping it up to date, becasue nobody but me is asking them to. Program planned costs always include significant costs for projects not started, so you always dump to spreadsheet and add the missing costs. So pretty soon the spreadsheet is the source of truth, and not the PPM software. I'm learning Workfront, and it seems so far like just another PPM tool, with the addition of the proofing feature, which we don't use. (We're a manufacturing company, and the engineers use engineering-specific systems to get approval for their CAD drawings, etc.) I'm looking forward to learning more about Workfront from the folks in this community. Max Fritzler