Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Actual Completion Date in project template

Level 1

Is it possible to have the Actual Completion Date push out the planned start date of the next task in the task list of a project template? 

So for example, the planned start date is 7/21, The planned completion date is 7/24 but the actual completion date is 7/22 (added manually). It doesn't change the planned start date in the next task with predecessors. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @EmilyDu1 - It sounds like Projected Start/End Date is what you're looking for. This is the date in Workfront that will update based on the Actual Completion Date of predecessor tasks. Workfront logic is that Planned Start Date will always remain the same, with the idea that you can see the original schedule, compare how the final schedule differed, etc. Projected Dates show how it is progressing in real-time.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @EmilyDu1 - It sounds like Projected Start/End Date is what you're looking for. This is the date in Workfront that will update based on the Actual Completion Date of predecessor tasks. Workfront logic is that Planned Start Date will always remain the same, with the idea that you can see the original schedule, compare how the final schedule differed, etc. Projected Dates show how it is progressing in real-time.

Hope that helps!

Level 1

Oh, I think it might work! We'll test it thoroughly on Monday. 

Thank you! 

Level 5

I agree with @VictoriaLinn. We tend to use "Estimated Start Date" and "Estimated Due Date" on most reporting as it gives us a better sense of when tasks will start / end (compared to Planned dates). We also have a View in our projects that shows those dates instead of the planned dates.

I wanted to drop this link to the page that explains the difference between Planned, Actual, Projected, and Estimated dates. Projected and Estimated are slightly different, but one of those should work for you.

Level 2
Level 2

Thank you very much.  I've been baffled as to why the schedule won't adjust when a task is completed early, like in MS Project like I'm used to seeing happen.  I'm fairly new to Workfront, so this concept is a bit different, but I've now added the Projected Start Date and Projected Completion Date to my view and see what's happening and it makes a lot more sense to me now.  Thank you.