Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

A report on dual assigned tasks/requests

Level 3

I'm working on a report that is meant to isolate tasks for a user that they have not reported hours when they are not the primary assignee. My logic goes; If the task is assigned to $$USER.ID, and there are reported hours on the task, and the hours are not owned by $$USER.ID

The issue I am running into is that this only works as a task/request report, not an hours report. I need to use an EXISTS filter to isolate the hour owner, but I'm still struggling to comprehend how to use it

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @MATTHEW450,

I just created a report called "My Outstanding Tasks To Which I Have Not Yet Booked Time" that uses the filter below, which -- noting that I as I add time to any Task listed, it then drops off the report -- I invite you to try out to see if it meets your needs.

Kinda reminds me of the bumper sticker "Jesus is Coming. Look Busy."

Regards,

Doug

EXISTS:a:$$EXISTSMOD=NOTEXISTS
EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=HOUR
EXISTS:a:ownerID=$$USER.ID
EXISTS:a:ownerID_Mod=eq
EXISTS:a:taskID=FIELD:ID
actualCompletionDate_Mod=isnull
assignedToID=$$USER.ID
assignedToID_Mod=in
work=0H
work_Mod=gt

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Community Advisor

assignedTo is for the primary assignee only. if you want secondary and tertiary assignees, you can use assignments.

Level 3

Yes, I was just outlining my logical process. That is not the issue, the issue is using an EXISTS filter to isolate whether I the user have reported hours on a task/request

Community Advisor

I'm thinking an assignment report might work better for this? You can use the filters mentioned above and a text mode filter for actual work completed.

actualWorkCompleted=0
actualWorkCompleted_Mod=eq
assignedToID=$$USER.ID
assignedToID_Mod=in
isPrimary=false
isPrimary_Mod=eq

you can add a column to an assignment report to see actual hours on assignments with this text mode:

displayname=Actual Hours
linkedname=direct
namekey=actualWorkCompleted
querysort=actualWorkCompleted
task=actualWork_Mod=gt
textmode=true
valuefield=actualWorkCompleted
valueformat=compound
viewalias=actualWorkCompleted

Community Advisor

I'm not clear on what you're asking. Do I read the question correctly that you would like an hours report showing tasks where the user was a tertiary user and did not report hours? And that you got it working in a task report, but for some reason a task report isn't appropriate for what you need? (why not?)

Level 3

The task report is what I'm looking for, but I need to use an EXISTS filter to filter in tasks where there are no hours owned by the user, but I do not know how to get that EXISTS filter to work

Community Advisor

A subset of the exists sample that Doug posted above might work. You obviously want to go with assignedToID_Mod=notin (the user is not the primary) and then I don't know what you want to do with the actualCompletionDate and work lines... maybe leave them out completely since they weren't a part of your original ask?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @MATTHEW450,

I just created a report called "My Outstanding Tasks To Which I Have Not Yet Booked Time" that uses the filter below, which -- noting that I as I add time to any Task listed, it then drops off the report -- I invite you to try out to see if it meets your needs.

Kinda reminds me of the bumper sticker "Jesus is Coming. Look Busy."

Regards,

Doug

EXISTS:a:$$EXISTSMOD=NOTEXISTS
EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=HOUR
EXISTS:a:ownerID=$$USER.ID
EXISTS:a:ownerID_Mod=eq
EXISTS:a:taskID=FIELD:ID
actualCompletionDate_Mod=isnull
assignedToID=$$USER.ID
assignedToID_Mod=in
work=0H
work_Mod=gt

This is what I'm looking for! I see it filtering in stuff the user has not reported hours on, which is great! And I spot checked to see those with hours were not owned by the user. Thank you so much, my manager has been wanting a report to do this for months. I knew what to do, just not how to do it

Community Advisor

My pleasure @MATTHEW450,

Out of curiosity, I'm interested in the motivation(s) for wanting to view such tasks, which I'm guessing might include:

1. increasing task visibility so users are aware of (and act upon) tasks where they are EXPECTED to book some time
  2. encouraging time entry where users are ALLOWED to book some time (e.g. so you can then recoup those hours)
  3. establishing (by the proxy) that Those Who Should Participate then DID participate (i.e. by Entering Their time)
  4. all of the above
  5. something else

Regards,

Doug

My apologies, I totally forgot to get back to you on this!

For us all users assigned to a task or request are expected to submit hours, and non of our reports seemed to support that. So we were looking for a report that would inform our users that they had missed submitting their hours when they were the secondary, regardless of whether there were already hours reported. Now I'm seeing that assignment reporting could be better for this, but I had barely used that type of report at the time and didn't fully understand it. But those filters you sent me are working great for us and we are still happy with them months later