Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

A custom field with a percentage sign

Level 3

Hi all.

I am in the process of building a custom form and I will need to allow users to enter a field with a percentage sign. For example, 10% or 20%.

This is easily achievable if the field is of a Text format.

But the challenge is that because this field is also part of a math calculation in the form, it has to be set as the Number format (as opposed to Text).

If a field has the Number format, users would not be able to enter the percentage sign. So instead of, say, 10%, the expected value is 0.1. This won't be ideal because I still want users to enter the value with a percentage sign (easier on the eye as well).

What is the best way to tackle this? I was thinking I could keep this field as Text format so that users can still input the % sign, and then use a calculated field to manipulate this string and this will be a Number field. Then I can use this calculated field as part of the formula.

Or is there any other clever way that I have missed?

Many tanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You can skip the interim calculated field altogether, and just use the string in your calculation.

Let's say you have a text field called "value_percent" and you need a separate calculated field in the form to reference "value_percent" in a math calculation.

You can simply reference {DE:value_percent} in your calculation. The data types are weak, so Workfront is smart enough to understand that "20%" is a number, even if it's stored in a string-type field. The only problem is that Workfront will interpret it as "20" instead of "0.2". That is easily fixed by dividing value_percent by 100.

All you need to do is insert the below calculation in the part of your formula that refers to the value_percent value:

DIV({DE:value_percent},100)

If the text entered in value_percent is "20%" the above will return "0.2"

This can be part of any math formula. E.g.: 

DIV({DE:value_percent},100)+1

would return "1.2" in the above example. 

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You can skip the interim calculated field altogether, and just use the string in your calculation.

Let's say you have a text field called "value_percent" and you need a separate calculated field in the form to reference "value_percent" in a math calculation.

You can simply reference {DE:value_percent} in your calculation. The data types are weak, so Workfront is smart enough to understand that "20%" is a number, even if it's stored in a string-type field. The only problem is that Workfront will interpret it as "20" instead of "0.2". That is easily fixed by dividing value_percent by 100.

All you need to do is insert the below calculation in the part of your formula that refers to the value_percent value:

DIV({DE:value_percent},100)

If the text entered in value_percent is "20%" the above will return "0.2"

This can be part of any math formula. E.g.: 

DIV({DE:value_percent},100)+1

would return "1.2" in the above example. 

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 3

@William--

Apologies for the late response as I didn't get the notification email saying my questions has got an answer.

It is helpful to know that the data type in Workfront is weak as well.

gigixjin_0-1669916586128.png

All works as expected. Thanks a lot!!