Expand my Community achievements bar.

Trouble creating a Workfront Custom API call for Nested Updates

Level 2

I have created an API Custom API Call to update the predecessor of a task. I have received an error on the module below.

I am wondering if I am just missing some commas or quotes in the body or if I am completely off. The error says "[422] APIModel INTERNAL does not support field data (Task)" so I am wondering if updating nested fields is not even possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

11 Replies

Employee

This is a fantastic question.

Predecessors are one of the curiosities of the Workfront API. You can not PUT/POST directly to the predecessor object either through the task or directly. Instead WF engineered a READ-ONLY field into the API called predecessorExpression. In effect here you would literally place the same string you would when entering a predecessor into the UI. Take a look at the attached example on how to do this. Note in my example it is a cross project predecessor, but the idea is the same. Instead of the reference number of a different project, just put your "Task Number" + the secondary elements like ff or such.

Level 2

@Andy Hess‚ This works!! Thank you so much! :)

Level 1

@AndyHess Where is the example? I am looking to do the same thing.

Employee

Hmm.... sorry about that.  It looks like the attachment may have been lost when we converted content in the Adobe Experience.

Here you go. this is a pretty simple API call.   In the example, you see the 'referenceNumber' is being applied because this is a cross project predecessor to the 1st task of that project.  

Let's say this were to a task #15 in the same project, then it would not need a 'referenceNumber:TaskNumber' and could just be TaskNumber ff'.  Basically this is the string that you would type into the UI to create a predecessor.Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 9.26.21 AM.png

Level 1

Thanks Andy! That worked. I really appreciate your help!

Level 1

@AndyHess, one more question. Is there a way I can add new predecessors without overwriting what is existing on the task?

Level 1

Sorry to bother you again @AndyHess 

I am hoping to resolve this issue soon.

I found a way to do it but unfortunately, this way does not allow me to do cross-project predecessor.

In the example below, I am finding the previous predecessor (I only have one) then adding it to the list. I tried to add parentID, projectID, nothing worked to get to add cross-project predecessors with this way.

{predecessors:[

{predecessorID:"631788ca0018ab869860976cb13c74d9",predecessorType:"fs"},{predecessorID:"previuosPredecessorID",predecessorType:"fs"}

]}

Employee

I believe using the method I provided, using the predecessorExpresession will add a predecessor without overwriting existing ones.  Otherwise you could go the JSON route but you are missing some fields.   First try just adding another predecessorExpression.

Level 1

Thanks @AndyHess! Unfortunately, the expression method overwrites existing predecessors. 

You're right, one expression works

{"predecessorExpression":"3,{{23.referenceNumber}}:{{14.taskNumber}}"}

Note for others trying: I had tried these options and they didn't work.

Option 1 - only keeps the last one

{"predecessorExpression":"{{23.referenceNumber}}:1","predecessorExpression":"3"} 

Option 2 - only keeps the first one

{"predecessorExpression":"{{23.referenceNumber}}:1"},{"predecessorExpression":"3"} 

Level 3

@Andy Hess‚ Is there a way to add a predecessor in addition to the existing one using Fusion? Say if task A has a predecessor B already and after the Fusion run I want the task A to have both predecessor B and C. Thanks

Employee
Certainly, there are several ways. My favorite is to use the tasks predecessorExpression field in a PUT. Here you simply place the same value you would if you were typing the predecessor in the UI. Don’t think it is destructive and adds one. You can also replace the predecessor object and add another value to the existing one using a JSON data structure. Andy Hess Workfront, an Adobe company <> | c. 561.252.3329 | andyhess@adobe.com Need to schedule a meeting? Choose your 60 minute meeting here for Integration Consulting<>