Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Best practice for renaming custom fields that are being used in scenarios

Level 4

Maybe this is one for the Innovation Lab... when a custom field is renamed in Workfront, I then need to find every module that it's in and update the module with the "new" custom field. For example, if a module has the box checked for that custom field as an input, once the name is changed then it will unselect that field.

Is there a good way to go about this? I have a hard time knowing/finding every single place that the field is used within our scenarios. Does that Fusion Chrome extension offer any solution to this perhaps?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Level 10

Are you using the developer chrome extension? i haven't used this functionality but seems like you can use it to search for fields by name, returning a list of the modules that contain that variable and also a swap variable functionality.

Or what we have used but not a very elegant solution, you can export your scenario as a JSON file, then open it in a text editor like notepad++, use find + replace All to find the old field name and replace it with the new field name. Save it and import the updated file back into Fusion.

Thankfully the ability to change the field label and leave the field name the same in Workfront has been a life saver for changes like this.

Level 4

Ah that is probably what I should be doing - changing the field label and not the name.

I'm in the Chrome extension now and it does look like you can search individual scenarios for fields and then it will return the module numbers but I'd need to do this across all our scenarios.