Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Quick Reporting Question

Level 2

We've built an enterprise-wide request form. In my section, I have a check box field of names, checking a name goes to a drop-down field for that person where you have to select what account they're working on. I want to build a report that counts the number of times each person in that check box field is selected (a request count by person); however, when I build the report and go to the groupings field I cannot select the check box field, I can only select the corresponding drop-down fields. The problem here is that I have a few account managers that don't feed to a drop-down submenu.

Am I doing something wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

There is a restriction in using multi-select fields as group-able attributes for reports.

One way that people have grouped on the values set in the multi-select field is to create a calculated custom data field on the same form (usually in a separate reporting-use only section). Once the values on the multi-select field are stored as a concatenated text value, that field can be used in a grouping.

A quick plug for the new reporting capabilities we've been working on. This restriction has been resolved for charts and KPI reports in the Canvas Dashboard visualizations we plan on introducing shortly. The new Canvas Dashboard table/list view will not support groupings in this way when it is initially released as a beta capability.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 2

OK, let me change the question around a little. When building a report, what would prevent a check box field from a request form from showing up as a selectable option in the groupings section?

Correct answer by
Employee

There is a restriction in using multi-select fields as group-able attributes for reports.

One way that people have grouped on the values set in the multi-select field is to create a calculated custom data field on the same form (usually in a separate reporting-use only section). Once the values on the multi-select field are stored as a concatenated text value, that field can be used in a grouping.

A quick plug for the new reporting capabilities we've been working on. This restriction has been resolved for charts and KPI reports in the Canvas Dashboard visualizations we plan on introducing shortly. The new Canvas Dashboard table/list view will not support groupings in this way when it is initially released as a beta capability.

Level 2

Thank you.

So my only hope here is to quickly gain a deep understanding of the reporting features of this software as opposed to the cursory knowledge that's help me survive to this point. Fun.