Expand my Community achievements bar.

Does anyone use personal tasks?

Employee

Hi everyone, curious to learn if you, or your organization, use(s) personal tasks. See the image attached. 

personal tasks.png

10 Replies

Community Advisor

I use personal tasks a lot, in conjunction with a task report/dashboard that is specifically designed to display personal tasks, allows custom data to be attached to them, and hours to get logged. 

I mainly use them to quickly enter tasks not associated to a larger project, so I can track what non-project related activities are requiring my time. It's also a quick way to get the tasks out of my head on to paper, and when I have time I can move the tasks to a proper project if one exists. 

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Community Advisor

I don't use personal tasks at all. 
my preference is to add such ad-hoc items striaght to my kanban board

Level 3

That sounds interesting. i am not familiar with a kanban board in workfront, but sounds like great way to manage ad-hoc to-dos.

i have never used the personal tasks and dont think anyone in our org does either.

Level 7

WF boards is relatviely new feature, some of the options are still available only via early-opt-in
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/agile/boards-in-workfront/get-started-with-b...
this will change with 23.1 release 

Community Advisor

Rather than using the personal tasks, I have a personal "to-do list" project where I add this type of task. 

I see Bill's comment regarding a report/dashboard specific to personal tasks and hadn't dug into creating such a thing so I struggled to find completed personal tasks if I needed to go back and review what I had done. My to-do list project allows me to create tasks or issues as needed and gives me full flexibility for how much/how little info I add there.

Community Advisor

Yeah, this eluded me for a while until I discovered Personal Tasks are only exposed on a task report if you make them appear by selecting "Task > Personal equals True" 

WE_0-1666991362621.png

From this report, I was able to further discover the "personal project" to which these tasks get sent, and was surprised that it mostly looks and acts like any other project, but is automatically filtered from all project reports - unless you make it appear by selecting "Project > Personal equals True"

WE_1-1666991798197.png

I don't think there's much difference in hand-crafting a personal "to-do" project vs. using the built-in personal project, outside of the ability to very quickly enter to-dos from Home, and also trust that no Task report is going to accidentally display your personal to-do tasks - only the reports that are intentionally searching for personal tasks.

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 1

Hi William, is this the correct filter to show both tasks assigned to me AND my personal tasks?

ab751_0-1692804990812.png

I made a copy of the My Tasks filter and then added the Task >> Personal TRUE.

However I see that it adds the personal filter before the Task Assignment.

This filter doesn't show anything so no doubt I'm missing something.

Or, if it's better for you, is there a filter creation resource out there that I review?

Thanks!

Community Advisor

@ab751  I would go with these filters. The first one will give you tasks you're assigned to, then the OR and the second set will give you just your personal tasksPersonal and other tasks.jpg

Employee

WE, Rafal, and Heather - thank you for the feedback on this.  We greatly appreciate it.  

Community Advisor

We do not use personal tasks since they don't show up on resourcing through planner or workload balancer.