Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adding DoubleClick floodlight tag on OnClick of a button event in DTM

Level 3

Hi DTM experts,

Can anyone help me with regards to adding floodlight tag on OnClick of a button event in DTM?

Which option shall I use -  sequential/ nonsequential JS , sequential/ nonsequential HTML?

Do I have to create a data element for this button? If so, how do I add this data element to the execution of the Floodlight tag? Please help.

Regards

Sid

9 Replies

Level 8

Hi Sid,

For adding a tag, you'd need to paste the code under the 'Third Party Tags' section of your rule.

You can use either of the options depending on how you want the tag to trigger.

You don't need to use a data element for implementing this.

Regards

Rahul

Level 3

Rahul

Thanks. But if I would like to add a tag, for example, on a video play click, how do I do it? I assume I must need to use a condition which DTM understands to fire this third-party tag. Would you be able to please list the steps taking this example? 

Level 8

Hi Sid,

Here's how you can do it.

1. Go to the 'Rules' tab for your web property.

2. Set up a new event based rule.

3. Under the condition, select 'Play' under 'HTML 5 video' (this is for your example of video click; you'll notice there are many other events that can be used) // This is the condition that DTM will check for before firing the tag

4. Once you've set the condition, go to 'Third Party Tags' and paste the code for your tag there.

5. Save your rule and test it.

Let me know if this helps

Regards

Rahul

Level 2

I've had a similar issue.  I cannot get DTM to fire an event when I create rule for to look for an anchor tag <a> with an OnClick property.  This is for both videos and regular buttons.

Did you find a resolution?

Thanks.

Level 8

Hi Brian,

Could you give me a snapshot of your rule setup please?

I'll look into it and get back to you

Regards

Rahul

Level 2

Attached is the screenshot.  I have tried both RegEx and String.  How can I get this to work with the onclick property?

Thanks.

Level 8

Hi Brian,

Could you test this by using a 'Play' event under 'HTML5 video' instead of using the click event.

Let me know if that works. In the meantime let me check out some alternatives.

Regards

Rahul

Level 2

Using the Play video event type does not work either.  It has to be something with the characters in the onclick property value.  Can you suggest a way I might be able to configure this value with Regex in order for Satellite to properly identify it?

Level 8

Hi Brian,

My apologies for the delayed response.

I haven't been able to find a solution to this problem.

I have only been able to find a few alternative ways of implementing video tracking that you can use (they don't need DTM). Here's some documentation on them

Rahul