Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Setting URL parameter expiration in DTM and Adobe Analytics

Level 3

In DTM, when creating a Data element for URL parameter, we can select to remember the value for pageview, session, or visitor.

I then assigned this data element for URL parameter to an eVar which is set to expire on Visit in Adobe analytics. Is this going to contradict the expiration logic since DTM is remembering for "pageview" and Adobe Omniture has it expiration as "Visit".

Please provide any suggestions.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Haritikam7382028,

Let's use a visit for example and say we're using evar1 which is set to visit expiration and last touch allocation.  So, I go from Pages A > B > C > D >E Lets's say i set evar1 to X on page B and value Y on page D.

In the Data Here is what it will look like:

PagesEvar1post_evar1
a
bxx
cx
dyy
ey

So, as you can see the evar is set on hit B and D, but because we persist it serverside (which is what reporting uses) is the post_evar1.  So, if you look at the report we'll see evar1 value of x will have 2 page views and 1 visit and 1 instance.  y will have 2 page views and 1 instance and 1 visit. 

I hope that helps,

Seth

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Employee

Hi Haritikam7382028,

So, the DTM data element persistence just impacts the value persisted client side in the code.  Meaning if the data is available to be included in javascript.  The Analytics persistence of the variable is done serverside.  Meaning, once Analytics gets the value it then persists it (if last touch allocation) until it's changed and then persist the new value for the next hit again until changed.  So, in short, DTM element persistence is client side in the code and Analytics is serverside in the Analytics data.

I hope that helps,

Seth

Level 3

so what happens if the data on client side is collected on pageview where its collecting different value on each page vs having a persistence of the visit in Omniture? Will the value in Analytics be only seen for the most recent (last touch attribution) until the visit expires although there are multiple values collected within a visit?

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Haritikam7382028,

Let's use a visit for example and say we're using evar1 which is set to visit expiration and last touch allocation.  So, I go from Pages A > B > C > D >E Lets's say i set evar1 to X on page B and value Y on page D.

In the Data Here is what it will look like:

PagesEvar1post_evar1
a
bxx
cx
dyy
ey

So, as you can see the evar is set on hit B and D, but because we persist it serverside (which is what reporting uses) is the post_evar1.  So, if you look at the report we'll see evar1 value of x will have 2 page views and 1 visit and 1 instance.  y will have 2 page views and 1 instance and 1 visit. 

I hope that helps,

Seth

Level 3

Thanks Seth! This is super helpful.

I noticed that in Adobe analytics, we cant set the evar expiration to pageview - would the hit be similar to the pageview?

Employee

Hi Haritikam7382028,

Yes hit would be very similar to page view (the equivalent option) it's just that it would expire after it's set always.  Where with the page view paradigm it would mean that if there was a page call (s.t) and a link call s.tl() it would persist for the link call.  But in the case with expiration of a hit, it will only be set once always.

I hope that help,

Seth

Level 3

Yes, this is what I assumed. However, I want the eVar to persist the value through the pageview and link tracking (since we have multiple links on the site) - so Adobe does not provide a solution to set the eVar to expire on a pageview?