Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

Sign in to view all badges

SOLVED

Issue: null value of manually assigned property is treated "null" string

Kunihiro_Sasaki
Level 2
Level 2

I tried to create event rule for click tracking of "a" tag which has specific property, but the rule fired even on all other links.
I investigated it and found SL.propertiesMatch function has a procedure might cause unintended behavior easily.

I intend to assign propery "data-tracking" with any value at "condition" area in DTM and set "data-tracking" = .* (RegExp).
Then I clarified it on staging website, every time i clicked anchor links, that rule fired.

When links which does NOT have specified property are clicked, DTM searches "data-tracking" property and returns null.
Then it checks if null(null) matches /.*/i (RegExp). It must be failed, but it returns TRUE because RegExp.test() method treats passed null as a string "null"!! 

SL.propertiesMatch = function(e, t) { if (e) for (var n in e) if (e.hasOwnProperty(n)) { var i = e[n] , a = SL.getElementProperty(t, n); if ("string" == typeof i && i !== a) return !1; if (i instanceof RegExp && !i.test(a)) return !1 } return !0 }
1 Accepted Solution
ParitMittal
Correct answer by
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Kunihiro ,

One of the work around for the problem would be to create Negative look-ahead regular expression like ^((?!null).)*$  (RegEx)  such that "null" values are rejected however the only thing to remember is that this expression would also reject the value "null-xcxcxc" .

Also, Generally it is recommended to check whether a string is null or not before passing it to regex test function Hence I would suggest to write a custom rule condition for your use case like below to avoid missing out on any cases

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal

View solution in original post

0 Replies
ParitMittal
Correct answer by
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Kunihiro ,

One of the work around for the problem would be to create Negative look-ahead regular expression like ^((?!null).)*$  (RegEx)  such that "null" values are rejected however the only thing to remember is that this expression would also reject the value "null-xcxcxc" .

Also, Generally it is recommended to check whether a string is null or not before passing it to regex test function Hence I would suggest to write a custom rule condition for your use case like below to avoid missing out on any cases

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal

View solution in original post

ParitMittal
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

Is the above issue resolved ?. If yes, yo can go ahead and mark the above answer as correct.

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal

Kunihiro_Sasaki
Level 2
Level 2

I set "a[data-tracking]" to  as a workaround.
I think your workaround also works well but it's a little bit more complicated than css selector.

It'd be helpful if this fix is applied.

Best regards,
Kunihiro Sasaki