Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

FAQ Frequent Asked Questions Rules in DTM

Level 3

Hi Everyone,

I've been using Adobe Analytics but am new to Dynamic Tag Manager (DTM). I have some questions around FAQ Frequent Asked Questions, to see if anybody can help me?

The main FAQ page is tracked with load event and page name, and it has a list of the main topics, each topic takes you to another page (different URL but same domain) which also tracked, the topic page has list of questions that are answered within the same page. When you click on the question its basically takes you to the question location on the page without changing the URL. Similar to this Yahoo answers page: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/answers

I can track the page load for the main FAQ page, and for the sub pages using Activity Map Link. However, the questions within the topic page are not tracked when they are clicked, and I want your help to see if there is a way to track each topic questions without creating a click event rule in DTM for each one of those questions

Thank you!

Mahmoud

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

You could use the built-in CSS selector tool. That would allow you to load a view of your site and click the items you wish the rule to fire on. You may have to play with it a bit to achieve the desired results, but I'd try it out and see if it works for your use case. Unfortunately, I can't give you a code snippet that works for all sites since every website is different. I'd recommend contacting your development department with this information to see if they can provide you with some javascript or CSS selector code that will achieve the desired results.

Another option would be contacting customer care. While most agents aren't specifically developers, some of them could likely help if you provide them access to the page and indicate your objectives. Alternatively, Adobe's professional services would be a great option for this. If you're interested, contact your Adobe account team and ask about a professional services engagement.

Thanks,
Jantzen

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi Mahmoud,

If some of the questions are shown on the main FAQs page, you would need to track them via a event based or direct call rule. You wouldn't necessarily need to create a rule for each question. You could use JSON or a common CSS selector as the condition for the rule. This would ensure the rule fires anytime any of the questions were clicked. Once the rule is firing, you could use data elements to dynamically populate your Analytics variables.

Cheers,
Jantzen

Level 3

Hi Jantzen

Appreciate your quick response!

I'm not expert with JSON or CSS. I was hoping that I can get that solved directly through the rule UI. If you propose any Java code I can give it a try :)

Also, the problem is not with the questions in the main page, the problem is with capturing the clicks for the questions on the sub-pages that basically either expand the answer when you click on the question, or just index you to the question answer within the same page 

Correct answer by
Level 10

You could use the built-in CSS selector tool. That would allow you to load a view of your site and click the items you wish the rule to fire on. You may have to play with it a bit to achieve the desired results, but I'd try it out and see if it works for your use case. Unfortunately, I can't give you a code snippet that works for all sites since every website is different. I'd recommend contacting your development department with this information to see if they can provide you with some javascript or CSS selector code that will achieve the desired results.

Another option would be contacting customer care. While most agents aren't specifically developers, some of them could likely help if you provide them access to the page and indicate your objectives. Alternatively, Adobe's professional services would be a great option for this. If you're interested, contact your Adobe account team and ask about a professional services engagement.

Thanks,
Jantzen

Level 3

This is a great feature. Even that it will generate a unique ID for for each help question I have on the selected page under one rule. However, all of these help clicks will display under the same click event name. But this can be a good start for me.

I will reach out to the Dev team for more consultation. Thank you so much for your help!