Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

DTM attributes versus URL parameters

Level 1

Hi,

We are starting to implement DTM in our company's website as well as integrating it with Adobe Analytics as well as other 2rd party tracking tags such as Webtrends; As a developer I have very little knowledge of how the information is used, but I have serious concerns about something we have been tasked to do:

we are adding two generic attributes data-dtm-id and data-dtm-data to every link on site, but we are also adding a parameter to each of those URLs making it someting like this:

<a data-dtm-id="foo" data-dtm-data"bar" href="index.html?id=foo_bar">...</a>

This doesn't make any sense to me, since the information is completely redundant. Am I missing something here? Are there any circumstances in which the url parameter is used and not the attributes?

Thanks,

E

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi E,

It sounds like you are trying to implement a type of data layer. DTM doesn't require any specific ID or Data elements to be added to your site. Having a data layer makes retrieving items from the page for insertion into marketing pixels a lot easier, but it's not required. 

If you want to see how DTM works, we've got some great videos on our YouTube channel. There is a DTM playlist with a series of DTM basics videos that are around 10 min long. Specifically, I'd take a look at the data elements, page load rules, and event/direct call rules videos.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi E,

It sounds like you are trying to implement a type of data layer. DTM doesn't require any specific ID or Data elements to be added to your site. Having a data layer makes retrieving items from the page for insertion into marketing pixels a lot easier, but it's not required. 

If you want to see how DTM works, we've got some great videos on our YouTube channel. There is a DTM playlist with a series of DTM basics videos that are around 10 min long. Specifically, I'd take a look at the data elements, page load rules, and event/direct call rules videos.

Thanks,

Level 10

E,

It doesn't look like you've responded or marked an answer correct. Did you previous response answer your initial question? If not, is there a concept or term I can clarify?

Thanks,

Jantzen