Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Adobe Dynamic Tag management Tags blocked

Level 4

Hi,

Is there a way to identify no. of users traffic we are losing due to these type of blocking(Fig below). I'm sure people can do this blocking for various reasons(privacy, page load delay, etc). Other than this, what are the possible reasons for these type of blocking by default? or do we know list of Ad blockers that block Adobe DTM by default?

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Adobe does not have any built-in functionality to identify the number of visitors that are using an ad-blocker/privacy add-on. However, I have seen some customers utilize their own javascript function to test if an ad-blocker is installed. A quick web search for something like "detect ad blocker" or "detect ad blocker javascript" should return some options. 

I've also seen some Analytics customer implement first-party tracking servers in hopes that it might mitigate any ad-block/privacy add-on looking specifically for Adobe domains. However, you need to be aware that changing your tracking server can have an impact on your data. Any data stored in cookies on the third-party tracking server domain could be lost if the migration is not done correctly.

Cheers,
Jantzen

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Adobe does not have any built-in functionality to identify the number of visitors that are using an ad-blocker/privacy add-on. However, I have seen some customers utilize their own javascript function to test if an ad-blocker is installed. A quick web search for something like "detect ad blocker" or "detect ad blocker javascript" should return some options. 

I've also seen some Analytics customer implement first-party tracking servers in hopes that it might mitigate any ad-block/privacy add-on looking specifically for Adobe domains. However, you need to be aware that changing your tracking server can have an impact on your data. Any data stored in cookies on the third-party tracking server domain could be lost if the migration is not done correctly.

Cheers,
Jantzen

Level 4

Hi Jantzen,

Thanks for the quick response. Is there any reason why Adobe is not ready to provide number of visitors that are using an ad-blocker/privacy add-on by default. Not sure, if this request already in place(ideas.omniture.com). 

And, by the way we're using MCVID service and friendly third party tracking server on our website. Do you think, it would still best to have first party tracking to avoid these type of blocking.

Thanks again

Level 10

I can only speculate as to why something doesn't exist since that question would need to be directed to the Analytics product team. With that said, I know generally, it's industry best practice to respect the wishes of those wishing to not be tracked.

In addition, there are various methods, tools, and laws that would have to be taken into account when creating an official solution for something like that. Those tools would also likely adapt to counter any official method that Adobe might provide, leading to an unstable solution with high development costs.

As you pointed out, you are definitely welcome to suggest the idea using the ideas exchange, but I can't guarantee that it would be implemented.

As for MCID, that's where it gets tricky. MCID relies less on the tracking server than legacy tracking, but it's still important. You need to be careful when changing any tracking server as to avoid data loss. As for the tracking server, there is no such thing as a "friendly third-party" tracking server to the browser. The browser see any request outside the domain it is currently on as a third-party domain. 

With that said, if the ad blocker is set to block requests to '2o7.net' and 'omtrdc.net' (both adobe domains), then using a "friendly third-party" tracking server might work.

Context:
A friendly third-party tracking server would be similar to 'metrics.myorganization.com' when the visitor is on the mycompany.com website.