Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Adobe DTM: Check box EU Complaince

Level 2

Hi,

Let me tell you the scenario..
Someone has mistakenly enabled "Enable EU compliance for Adobe Analytics" [ screen shot attached ] check box inside Adobe DTM under General settings.

This made the site not to trigger the s_code data.

Once we unchecked the "Enable EU compliance for Adobe Analytics" check box we were able to see image beacon firing again.

My doubt is that:

--> How "Enable EU compliance for Adobe Analytics" check box is related to s_code data.
--> After unchecking the check box ""Enable EU compliance for Adobe Analytics" - data starts to fire again. What could be the reason.

Thanks,
Prathi

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Prathi,

There is detailed information about the EU check box within the help section located here:  https://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/dtm/#General

Enables or disables tracking based on the EU privacy cookie.

When a page is loaded, the system checks to see if a cookie called sat_track is set (or the custom cookie name specified on the Edit Property page). Consider the following information:
  • If the cookie exists and is set to anything but true, the loading of the tool is skipped. Meaning, any portion of a rule that uses the tool will not apply.

If a rule has Analytics with EU compliance on and third-party code, and the cookie is set to false, the third-party code still runs. However, the Analytics variables will not be set.

• If the cookie does not exist, or it does exist but it is set to true, the tool loads normally.

You are responsible for setting the sat_track (or custom named) cookie to false if a visitor opts out. You can accomplish this using custom code:

_satellite.setCookie(“sat_track”, “false”);

You must also have a mechanism to clear that cookie if you want a visitor to be able to opt in later without manually clearing the cookie:

_satellite.removeCookie(“sat_track”);

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Prathi,

There is detailed information about the EU check box within the help section located here:  https://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/dtm/#General

Enables or disables tracking based on the EU privacy cookie.

When a page is loaded, the system checks to see if a cookie called sat_track is set (or the custom cookie name specified on the Edit Property page). Consider the following information:
  • If the cookie exists and is set to anything but true, the loading of the tool is skipped. Meaning, any portion of a rule that uses the tool will not apply.

If a rule has Analytics with EU compliance on and third-party code, and the cookie is set to false, the third-party code still runs. However, the Analytics variables will not be set.

• If the cookie does not exist, or it does exist but it is set to true, the tool loads normally.

You are responsible for setting the sat_track (or custom named) cookie to false if a visitor opts out. You can accomplish this using custom code:

_satellite.setCookie(“sat_track”, “false”);

You must also have a mechanism to clear that cookie if you want a visitor to be able to opt in later without manually clearing the cookie:

_satellite.removeCookie(“sat_track”);

Level 2

Hi Rudi,

Thank you - the link shared was very useful and also the explanation provided by you on EU Compliance was very informative.

Thanks Again,

Prathi

Level 1

Agree with above give tips, years ago i also use marketing forums and then find that it is much user full for those expert. I also use this on my personal blog to get better ranking

Level 2

Hi Rudy!

I think it's worth noticing that the cookie needs to be present already before the DTM Tool is loaded.
At this point of time the _satellite.setCookie function is not available. So you need to use standard JS functions to set the cookie initially.

If you set the cookie after DTM Script include you will loose the initial Tracking request which leads to wrong analytics data.

I'm wondering if there is a way to set the cookie within DTM. Already tried a Page Load Rule with Top of Page synchronous JS. But it seems that this is already too late because the EU Compliance setting already blocks the load of the Analytics Script which seems to happen already before the Page Load Rule.

Would be interesting if you see some different way to face the challenge.
In any case I think it would be worth mentioning this in the documentation.

Thanks,
Markus

Level 1

Hi Rudy,

As Markus has mentioned above,

"If you set the cookie after DTM Script include you will loose the initial Tracking request which leads to wrong analytics data.

I'm wondering if there is a way to set the cookie within DTM. Already tried a Page Load Rule with Top of Page synchronous JS. But it seems that this is already too late because the EU Compliance setting already blocks the load of the Analytics Script which seems to happen already before the Page Load Rule.", we are facing the same issue in tracking analytics variables on the First load of the page.

We are looking forward for a reply from you or anyone from the Adobe Team to help us track the users on the first page load with EU Compliance Enabled. We are able to track the users from any further actions on the page or on reloading the page, since the sat_track cookie is set to true. We are loosing a lot of traffic data due to this issue. Please let us know if there is any workaround in DTM to set the cookie before the EU Compliance is set.

Thanks,

Srihari

Level 10

Hi Markus and Srihari,

Have you tried using the custom section in the tool? The tool will load before any page load rules.

Cheers,
Jantzen

Level 1

Hello,

Even I am facing the same issue. setting the custom section in the tool did not work either. I think this is because the code in the tool will not get executed if the sat_track cookie is set to false.

Thanks

Bharath