Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.
SOLVED

Can we include escape characters in the AT param value ?

Community Advisor

Hi Team,

We are using customer attribute to upload the offline data in experience cloud.The data file contains the CustomerId as first column and we are passing this customerid in the thirdPartyId in the target call.

The customerId value in data file is in doublquotes however the value that we are passing in thirdPartyId is without doubl quotes so targeting doesnt work using crs data source.

As a workaround we used escape characters in the code at target end so that value in double quotes is passed

Now I can see the value passing like this and the targeting also works:

LordOfTheRings_0-1622026912539.png

so wanted to ask if this fine and it would not break anything else.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hey @ambikaTewari_ATCI,

I'm sure you already know the top recommendation: Fix the customer attributes data file so it doesn't have the double quotes surrounding the ids.

In help for ECID and Customer IDs the docs do say to NOT use encoded values in your ids (within the "important" section). Which I guess you are still okay on since your just escaping the quotes. If you are not using the visitor.setCustomerIds() method, but the alternative method of directly passing the customer ID to Target as the thirdPartyId I don't see any documentation on special character limits.

I can't think of it causing other issues if it is working for you; however, I think the much better solution is to fix the source.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hey @ambikaTewari_ATCI,

I'm sure you already know the top recommendation: Fix the customer attributes data file so it doesn't have the double quotes surrounding the ids.

In help for ECID and Customer IDs the docs do say to NOT use encoded values in your ids (within the "important" section). Which I guess you are still okay on since your just escaping the quotes. If you are not using the visitor.setCustomerIds() method, but the alternative method of directly passing the customer ID to Target as the thirdPartyId I don't see any documentation on special character limits.

I can't think of it causing other issues if it is working for you; however, I think the much better solution is to fix the source.

Hope that helps!

Community Advisor

Hi @Ryan_Roberts_ , no we are not using setCustomerID function . Escaping double quotes is working for us.

but I'll go with the correct recommendation to not have double quotes surrounded the value in the data file