Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.

Add URL parameter when end-user enters a particular experience

Level 2

Hello,

I'd like to add a url parameter such as exp=4tabA (when user enters experience A) and exp=4tabB (when user enters experience B), etc. The goal is so I can differentiate between revenue made within experiences in my Drupal CMS reporting (not just Target reporting).

Any thoughts on doing this?

Regards,

Awakash

4 Replies

Administrator

Hi there and thanks for your question! The best way to do this is through response tokens which writes out the experience name to the page and then you can pick it up off the page to do whatever.

You'll need to refresh the page if you add a url parameter, but this may or may not work.

Employee Advisor

Hi Awakash,

I'm guessing the page needs to load with the new parameter in order for your CMS to pick it up. If this is true you might need to use a redirect activity on top of your normal activity.

• Activity 1 (redirector) send 50% of people to same URL with this query param exp=4tabA and the remaining 50% of people to same URL with this query param exp=4tabB appended.
  • Activity 2 contains the actual content changes for the 4tabB experience (assuming 4tabA is default and needs not content changes). You will need to use the entry page URL with the exp=4tabB included so people qualify for the activity appropriately.

This isn't ideal though. Redirects shouldn't be used in this manner in my opinion because they can add page load time to the end visitors. It would be preferable to find another way to send info to your CMS. As Amelia has mentioned you can use response tokens to return info about the activity/experience a visitor saw to the page. You just need a mechanism for capturing that and sending it to your CMS - maybe an image request or something similar could work.

Level 2

Yes, this doesn't seem like a clean solution, so I'll start with the original response, thanks for your thoughts!