Expand my Community achievements bar.

xfa.host.messageBox or app.alert not working some machines

Level 1

Hi,

We've a PDF form with alert messages on a button click. We've written a function in a script object which is called on button click. This PDF is working fine on most of the machines but does not work few machines. On all machines, we have same adobe reader version (9.4.0). The machines with this problem have similar configuration as others (windows XP, no other adobe software installed etc.). When we look at the javascript console, it gives messages like the function is not available. What could be the issue here. I think if we reinstall/repair the adobe reader, probably it will resolve the issue. But before doing that we want to understand what exactly the problem could be. Has anybody seen this error before?

Thanks

Ram

5 Replies

Former Community Member

The case is probably what the console states: your form has faulty javascripts. In that case: fix the scripts and the problem will go away (reinstalling Reader would prove to be a waste of time).

Former Community Member

I woudl have to see the form in action to understand what is happening ....can you send the form to LiveCycle8@gmail.com and I will have a look. Please include a description of the issue.

Thanks

Paul

Level 1

Thanks for your response. There is no fault with the javascript. It is working perfectly fine on other machines. Only on few machines it is giving this problem. I verified that javascript is enabled on these machines. If I save the form and run it on another machine then it is working fine. This proves that it is a machine/installation problem.

Former Community Member

That's odd...

Does that same happen with a blank template containing nothing but a button with a click event:

app.alert("click");

?

Level 1

I created a function with name "isNull". This was working fine in version 9.4.0 but not on 9.3.1. Looks like this is probably a reserved word in that version. When I changed my function name, it started working fine on both versions.