Expand my Community achievements bar.

When unchecking 'embed fonts' hyperlinks go away.

Level 2

LiveCycle 9.  When I reload a pdf that was generated by LC, and go to: Form Properties | Save Options, and uncheck the "embed fonts" checkbox, all the hyperlinks in the form dissapear.

This is a secondary process after the form has been initially saved with the fonts. (Apparently, there is no way to generate a pdf from xdp without embedding the fonts.) All I want to do is remove the embedded fonts. The fonts do unembed and all the field functions and scripts still work.

Do I need to wait to install the hyperlinks at this stage of the process?

Or is there another solution?

Thanks

9 Replies

Former Community Member

You can save an XDP without embedding fonts. Go to the File/Form Properties/ Save Options and uncheck the Embed Fonts checkbox.

Paul

Level 2

Paul,

That would be ideal.  However, when editing the xdp file, that option is grayed out.

Wendell

Former Community Member

Then that means that you imported the file from another PDF, creating an image of your other PDF and are laying fields on top of that image. There are no fonts to embed. What font are you using on your fields?

This is the only font that is in play.

Paul

Level 2

Yes, we are importing pdfs. We are rolling-in old pdf's and converting them to LiveCycle.  When opening the old form, we select "Create an interactive form with a flowable layout"  Thus, the form is completely editable and it does have all the original fonts embedded to display the static text.  Perhaps the grayed out "embed fonts" is a software error.

Wendell

Former Community Member

No …if I import a PDF document the embed fonts is still available. Perhaps the font you are using is a non embeddable font and that’s why the option is greyed out?

Paul

Level 2

Interesting.   These old forms use embedded Arial for both static and fillable fields. We have always embedded Arial, but now want to reduce our file sizes and Arial is available everywhere in our system.

If I load an old pdf, save as xdp and generate a new pdf form the xdp (with the grayed out "embed fonts"), the resulting form does have embedded Arial.  That's why we reload the newly generated pdf form back in to LC and then we can uncheck the "embed fonts". This form then, when saved, gives us a pdf form without Arial embedded.  It also has no hyperlinks...they have all been removed by the process. 

Wendell

Former Community Member

I have no idea why that is happening …..you will have to open an incident with support to get it looked at.

Paul

Level 2

Paul,

I'll do as you suggest.

Thanks for your help.

Wendell

Level 2

Follow up. 

When I unembed the fonts from the old pdf before loading in LIveCycle,  the "embed font" checkbox is no longer disabled as it was before.  I can now uncheck the box to retain the desirable (for us) "no embedded fonts" status of the form.   Thus, I do not have to reprocess the form, and the hyperlinks are intact.

Wendell