Expand my Community achievements bar.

Using *.EPS Image Files

Former Community Member

Hey everybody

I'm relatively new to Designer so forgive my ignorance

I recently upgraded to Designer ES 8.2 but I am having some MAJOR problems with EPS files for our company logo etc.

I'm creating some documents with images/text/text fields that are used by our intranet system to automatically generate invoices/quotations etc based on what information the user inputs into the system.

I was using an earlier version of designer which forced me to convert our logo to jpeg but the quality was pretty bad no matter what I tried. I was pretty happy when we upgraded to 8.2 because it supported EPS images, however I just can't get them to work!

When I try to import an EPS image file into the document, I either get the 'broken' image or, when it does work, the quality is really quite bad. If I import the same file into InDesign it looks perfect, but Designer just doesn't want to play ball. If I could, I'd just use InDesign all the way, but I can't figure out how to use text fields that can be exported to PDF for later manipulation by my C# code (but that's another problem for another thread).

Anyway, is there anyway I can use the EPS images in Designer and still make them look sharp, clear and perfect? This is really starting to bug me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

I have not had much success with EPS formats either, so I generally stick to PNG or JPEG formats. EPS have generally ended up very pixilated.

Using Photoshop (or Illustrator. or InDesign) you should be able to export the EPS logo to a medium/high resolution in PNG/JPEG. Then use this in LC.

Hope you get a resolution,

N.

Former Community Member

Hi Niall

Yeah I've tried doing that. It "works" but the quality of the PNG, JPG, BMP (whatever I try) is never as good as the original EPS file.

The document we're using now is using a JPG version of our logo and it looks ok, but compared to the EPS it's pretty crappy

I tried creating the document in InDesign too, but I had problems trying to insert a blank text field (for later population through external code).

Level 10

Hi,

We have full page (A4) image files in some forms and they look perfect. It does take a bit of experimenting with resolutions. While the JPEG might not look as good as the original EPS; it probably does look better than the EPS in LC ;-)

Try resizing the image field in LC after you have embed the JPEG.

We use InDesign as well, and I would be inclined not to use it as a dynamically populated form design tool. It is fine for artwork / page layouts, but I would then bring them back into LC.

Good luck

N.

Level 10

Are you making them high-enough resolution? I do this too and the artwork is fine.

I've also had trouble with eps - seems like only the preview is captured. Also, stay away from CMYK.

Former Community Member

Thanks for your replies everybody.

I think I will just have to experiment with higher resolution PNG or JPG files to get it working.

Niall, how do you bring InDesign documents back to LC after you've done the layout/design? I can't open the .indd document in LC and if I try to use a PDF created from within InDesign I find I'm not able to add any additional fields (in LC).

Thanks

Level 10

Hi Ben,

I would export the artwork from InDesign as either a JPEG or PNG at min. 150dpi (or 300dpi). It depends on the image and if the form is for screen use generally or if the image will be printed. I would also use Photoshop for artwork. A full A4 graphic at 150dpi was 825kb and worked well on screen (it's presence was set to "visible (screen only)" so I was not worried about how it would print).

Then in LC I would use an image object and embed the JPEG/PNG (like you are doing). If the graphic is a full page, I would bring it into the master page and make sure the image object is at x:0; y:0 and that the dimensions match the full size of the page.

It does take a few tries, but you will get the parameters right for your application.

Good luck,

Niall