Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.
SOLVED

Submit HTML5 form to Java JSP and get XML from Request InputStream

Level 8

I have developed complex program to submit PDF/XFA to server-side ASP.NET program.

I need now to do the same using Java server-side program.

The approach I am following is to break down the long and complex form into smaller sections. Each section will be a separate XDP form in HTML5 format, and it will have the following common buttons:

- Next

- Previous

- Jump to Section

- Save

- Complete

I am looking for a simple example to explain how to submit a HTML5 form to a Java server-side program (JSP or Servlet) and how to retrieve the submitted XML or the form fields and values.

I did some effort, but still need some help. Please download the basic HTML5 XDP form from here​. See snapshots below for more details. The code to submit is  placed under the "Save" button, click event:

var theBtnSubmit = cmdSubmitForm.resolveNode("#event").submit;

var theTarget = form_config.server_url.rawValue + "?" + "action=save" + "&form_id=" + form_config.form_id.rawValue + "&section_id=" + form_config.section_id.rawValue;

theBtnSubmit.target = theTarget;

cmdSubmitForm.execEvent("click");

The JSP is very simple. You can download it from here. I used the following lines of code to get the InputStream and convert to string:

ServletInputStream ris = request.getInputStream();

String theString = IOUtils.toString(ris);

I developed a simple Java program using JSP under a Dynamic Web Project.

The problem:

On the server, I am unable to retrieve the form fields and values in XML format. What I am getting is the concatenated values of the fields which are filled.

Tarek

953766_pastedImage_0.png

The hidden Submit Button "cmdSubmitForm:

953781_pastedImage_0.png

953772_pastedImage_12.png

953769_pastedImage_4.png

953773_pastedImage_16.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

Finally, it worked. As a matter of fact, the above method is working fine. The only issue was that the string must be escaped for XML.

I add the following code, and I can now see the XML:

<%@page import="org.apache.commons.lang3.StringEscapeUtils" %>

String theString = IOUtils.toString(ris, Charset.forName("UTF-8"));

theString = StringEscapeUtils.escapeXml10(theString);

out.print("input stream in string format : " + theString + "<br/>");

Tarek

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 8

Finally, it worked. As a matter of fact, the above method is working fine. The only issue was that the string must be escaped for XML.

I add the following code, and I can now see the XML:

<%@page import="org.apache.commons.lang3.StringEscapeUtils" %>

String theString = IOUtils.toString(ris, Charset.forName("UTF-8"));

theString = StringEscapeUtils.escapeXml10(theString);

out.print("input stream in string format : " + theString + "<br/>");

Tarek

Level 1

Hi Tarek,

Is there any way we can submit a form/fetch the xml from a HTML5 form, without using a hidden submit button?

Any help/sugestion is much appreciated.

-Tussha

Level 8

Sorry Tussha for late reply.

As a matter of fact, we stopped working on HTML5 under Adobe LiveCycle due to many limitations we have faced when we developed a working prototype. We are rebuilding now all forms in pure HTML5/Angular (AngularJS)/Javascript/CSS/Bootstrap.

At this stage, I won't be able to provide any feedback on HTML5 implementation under Adobe LiveCycle since long time has passed already.

Tarek