Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Split and join string

Former Community Member

Hi all.

I have a form with a textbox for the full name and I whant to uppercase the fist letter in the first and last name.

I have a function for that and all works well, the problem comes when there is a hypen "-" in the name. I have the split part working but on the join side I cant get it to work.

function ucFirstAllWords( str )

{

var pieces = str.split(" "); //use this for space and "-" split (/[ \/-]/);

for ( var i = 0; i < pieces.length; i++ )

{

var j = pieces[i].charAt(0).toUpperCase();

pieces[i] = j + pieces[i].substr(1);

}

return pieces.join(" ");

}

If I use this code and slpit on both space and hypen all get join with space, I have tyed to make a function in function to capture the first hyphen but that didn't work probably doing it wrong

Does anyone have any idea how to solve it?

I'm using LC 8.0

Thanks.

//Fredrik Nordstrand, Sweden

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Hi Vjay.

I want "john doe" to be "John Doe" and "ann-lee rose bush" to be "Ann-Lee Rose Bush"

Do I make any sense?

The scrip woks fine but not with a name that contains a hypen.

If I use the split to include the hypen then "ann-lee" becomes "Ann Lee" and thats not right.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 5

I gave "john-smith" for this im getting result as "John-smith".It is working as i expected. Is that what u wanted?

Vjay

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Hi Vjay.

I want "john doe" to be "John Doe" and "ann-lee rose bush" to be "Ann-Lee Rose Bush"

Do I make any sense?

The scrip woks fine but not with a name that contains a hypen.

If I use the split to include the hypen then "ann-lee" becomes "Ann Lee" and thats not right.

Level 10

Put this code on the exit event of the text field:

this.rawValue = this.rawValue.replace(/\b([a-z])/g, function (_, initial) {return initial.toUpperCase();});

This was originally posted by Srini in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3953615#3953615

Former Community Member

Thanks Jono, works great .

Very useful oneliner

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----