Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Server based sequential number

Former Community Member

Hello!

I have this form on which I need to place a sequence number for control reasons.
How can I create this field?

As PDFs can't write or read txt files, let alone over networks, I suppose I must call a webservice to read the sequence number somewhere, increment it and retrieve this number to be filled in a field in the form, correct?

Possible?

Thank you for any ideas!

Marcos

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

There is an Adobe database ...you can create your table under that.

Paul

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Former Community Member

To be able to get a sequential number you will need an external source to store the number and update it as it is being used. I have used a DB table that will update the number as each user opens the form. This means that you will need a connection to the DB. You can use a Web Service or an ODBC connection to a DB. In either case if you intend on using Reader then you will have to Reader extend the form to be able to use that functionality. This means that LiveCycle Reader Extensions server is required. As well the users must be connected to a network to be able to "get" the number. This can become a very expensive problem to solve ....are you sure you want to go down that path?

Paul

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for replying,

Definitely, yes. This is exactly the scenario I have.

The client has Reader Extensions and all forms work over a network.

Today they are using an old platform called JefForms (actually Adobe bought JetForms a long time ago), so today their forms read the sequential number from a TXT file, increment the value there and places this number on the form.

Now they've moved on to PDFs and LiveCycle Reader Extensions - it's all there in place. So, yes, the idea is reading from a DB and incrementing the value for the next form in the sequence.

What I need right now is how to do it in the PDF (LC Designer), taking for granted there is a Webservice or ODBC, or whatever, taking care of the network/server/DB part.

Thank you for any hints.

Marcos

Former Community Member

Do they have a complete LiveCycle server? If so I have doen an example using that. I created a DB table in LC and used that. Then created a process

to read and update that table.

Here are the sample files. The txt file is the SQL that I used to create the table (I am using MySQL as the DB).

Paul

Former Community Member

Hi Paul!

Thank you very much for the sample files!

Well, yes, I believe they have a complete server, that is, they have Reader Extensions and Foundations should be there. They're using Oracle instead of MySQL, anyway, but I guess it makes no difference at all.

Now, to start with, I imported your LCA in the Application Management interface... but nothing is showing on the application list after I import it. Maybe I skipped some operation, some configuration?

Thank you for your help!

Marcos

Former Community Member

In workbench you have to do a get application.....it shoudl be listed there.

Paul

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

Yes, I know. It´s not there either. 

Former Community Member

did you get any errors when you imported the LCA? What version of LC are you using?

Paul

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

No errors, apparently.

If this helps, I found this listed in Service Management interface:

getSequenceNumber: 1.0 - State: running - Component Id: com.adobe.idp.workflow.dsc.service.WorkflowDSC - Component version: 9.0.0.2.20100902.2.246889

More info:

lc.GIF

As for the version, as follows (this is my local machine server):

Adobe LiveCycle ES2

Adobe LiveCycle Administrative Framework

Version: 9.0.0.0, GM
Patch Version: SP2
Service Pack Version: 9.0.0.2.20100902.2.246889

Adobe LiveCycle Workbench ES2
Version: 9.5.0.0.20100908.1.247189

Thank you!

Marcos

Former Community Member

Updating...

I have rebooted the server, nothing changed.

The service is listed, shows up as "running" in Service Management, but the application is not showing on the Application Management interface.

It is not listed when I try Get Application on LC Workbench.

Please, help!

Marcos

Former Community Member

I do not remember but I think I built it on an earlier version of LC. You will have to import it in workbench instead of getting it. Create a new application. Then under that app highlight the root node and right click and choose import.  A menu will pop up. Under the LiveCycle runtime content choose Process and click Next. You shoudl get a Test folder ...under that Test folder is the getSequenceNumber process.

Paul

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

Thank you once again! I will proceed this way.

Now, where do I create the db Table? From Workbench? Do I have access to LiveCycle MySQL to create using the SQL statements?

This is not clear to me.

Thank you.

Marcos

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

I did exactly as you explained.

However, there was no folder called Test or any folder containing the getSequenceNumber process.

UPDATE: After closing and reopenind Workbench, the Test folder and the process are there!

Thank you!

Now I still need to find out how to connect to the database. 

Marcos

Message was edited by: Marcos J Pinto

Former Community Member

I sent you some SQL code to create the table ...you will need some DB tools that will allow you to executethat script (this is not done in workbench). If you have the turnkey install and arte using MySQL there are database tools you can download to manage and manipulate your databases.

Paul

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

Database tools such as?

Can't I access mysql from DOS shell? What user/pass should I use?

Thank you!

Marcos

Former Community Member

Nope ...I woudl recommend MySQL query Browser and MySQL gui tools. If you search the net I am sure you will find a download site. You will want the tools for version 5 of MySQL.

Paul

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

Ok, and once I get there which database should I use to create the table?

Thank you!

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

There is an Adobe database ...you can create your table under that.

Paul

Former Community Member

Hi Paul!

GREAT! It is working perfectly!  Thank you!!

BTW, I figured out my way to MySQL shell access, much quicker and easier; 

Now my next challenge is port this to a Linux SUSE + Weblogic + Oracle environment...

Thank you very much for your help!

Best Regards.

Marcos

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----