Expand my Community achievements bar.

rights management for digital artwork to PDF sent to online printers

Level 1

I posted last year about this at acrobatuser.com and learnt about LC management which is  helpful,

I`m a designer/illustrator and looking to print my digital  artworks with online Giclee printers to canvas who are in the U.S and  U.K but I am in Australia.

I wanted to use livecycle rights management to give them access  to printing my artwork yet keep it limited in being able to pass the  file around to other printers..

However the cost for a single person is prohibitive,

I`m hoping adobe can set up something for digital artists to  create confidence in sending out artwork as PDF to printers, like an  online subscription plan for livecycle rights management, or pay per use  or annual fee, something like this where adobe manage the servers..

I am using the creative suite lease version online for monthly  rental of $130 and really enjoy the system of the 12 month contract  available in Australia. I`m hoping to access something like this for  live cycle management that is affordable for someone looking at getting  high quality printers to print their designs.

$1000 to $2000 per  year as a usage fee would be something I could entertain.

Communication  with the print industry would be needed prior as they may have issues  with having to access online files for high end printing.

1 Reply

Level 1

I received a response to this from acrobatusers.com

http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?pid=71772#p71772

A subscription service is being developed (see http://dc.adobe.com ) but  it can't be used to secure PDFs sent for service digital printing, as  the print shop will need the ability to alter the document (for example  to impose pages into the media sizes they print to, add crop marks,  color-match plates, etc). Digital printers therefore invariably demand  that the PDFs they are sent have no security applied at all.

They  also tend to use different software (Illustrator, etc) or old versions  of Acrobat, which won't support DRM. If your PDF is completely ready to  print without changes, most printers send the file to a standalone RIP -  and they don't open secured files at all.

Trusting the printer  with your files is part of the deal when you print using a service  bureau. If you don't, don't. There's no way round it.