Expand my Community achievements bar.

Reader Extensions problem

Level 10

I have a form that has been reader extended before, it came back for some minor text changes and I'm now trying to run it through Reader Extensions again but can't get the form to work properly. I keep getting scripting errors for mandatory fields when the form opens (a big list of fields that "must be filled in...").

The form was originally created in Designer ES, I did the changes in ES2. Thinking that might be the problem I fired up ES and resaved the file but no luck.

The form has a lot of scripting going on (liberal use of John Brinkman's validation scripts), and scripts for file attachments, but none of that has changed.

Steps I put it through:

Password protection applied in Acrobat with fill in form fields, etc.

Run through RE with settings I thought I'd used previously: Basic fill-in, file attachments, full save. I've now also tried turning on everything else in RE but still not having any luck.

Hoping Paul or someone can take a look, customer needs it back ASAP (of course!).

https://acrobat.com/#d=ZGXU224wzdygHuSt2kIrPA

10 Replies

Former Community Member

I am not seeing that issue ....I open the form in Designer, run a preview and don't see any errors. Am I missing something?

Paul

Level 10

Oh, sorry that's the un-secured un-extended version.

On playing with it some more, it starts happening after I put security on the pdf, before I run it through RE. Even if for "Changes Allowed" I put "Any except extracting pages".

If you try putting password protection on it it falls apart - in Acrobat as well as Reader.

Former Community Member

Just tried it here without issue .....I was using an 8.2 Designer and a version 9.3.4 of Acrobat. Here is my form .....

Paul

Level 10

Hmm...ok this is getting very strange.

As soon as I put a password on it I get the error messages on opening. I have a clean VM of XP with Reader 8 that I use for testing and it has the problem too, so it must be something to do with Acrobat.

I'm currently running 9.0.0 Pro Extended on Win7 64bit. I'll try updating Acrobat again and see what happens - We just reinstalled it because when I upgraded recently I lost my pdf printer and we couldn't get it to install.

I don't suppose there's a monolithic updater for Acrobat is there? For some reason I don't have a "check for updates" menu option and when I tried upgrading the other day I had to download every revision manually.

Level 10

Ok, I'm back up to Pro Extended 9.3.4 and I'm still having the issue. Starting to pull my hair out.

After applying security, if I re-open the file in Pro or try to open it in Reader 8.2 I get the error messages. I've tried this on a couple of different machines.

Here's a copy with security applied (no reader extensions), password is pw.

https://acrobat.com/#d=oGJn0XVy*T-3Aajd8lcNxQ

Level 10

Hi Jono,

Just reporting...

Using Acrobat 9 Pro (v9.3.4) for Mac:

When I open the non-protected form, I don't get any errors. However when I open the password protected form, I get:

Acrobat.png

Using Acrobat 9 Pro Extended (v9.3.3) for Windows 7:

Same behaviour.

Previewing in LC Designer ES2:

I do not get any validation errors on previewing.

What I have seen is that when I open your 'pw' protected form and add in a listbox, save and close. When I reopen I am not prompted for the password. I didn't go near the File > Form Properties > PDF Security at all.

Here is a form (sorry I chucked an ugly listbox down on top of the form). I have a timestamp on the validate event (just to the epoch).

Anyway when the form is not protected it fires once. Can you apply the password protection and see if the validate event fires twice when opened in Acrobat?

https://acrobat.com/#d=8c7HXIOxnrq-GIquncfLPA

Niall

Former Community Member

I think that you are going to have to open an incident with support ...this is beyond what we can do here.

Paul

Level 10

Thanks for checking guys, seems like it was mostly pebkac.

After tackling things again this morning, there were problems with the script object fragments I am using. After recent OS and software upgrades things weren't pointing in the correct direction (I hadn't touched this form in a long time).

The annoying thing is that Designer gave no warning that the script objects were broken!

Maybe I'll put in a feature request for warnings if script objects are broken. Form opened without any issues and I didn't notice that the fragment names had been renamed to "(untitled Script Object)".

Or maybe change Designer's behaviour so that if reference to script object fragments are lost the script objects don't get renamed so they still run – all the code is still in the script object.

Moderators can remove this thread if they want.

Level 10

Hi,

the fragment's were the same thing I thought of as Designer shows 3 alerts in the protocol tab saying "URL could not be resolved" after the preview was renderd.

Missing fragments.png

Level 10

Thanks Radzmar, I didn't even think to look there as there were no obvious errors. Will keep it in mind for next time!