Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Question about LiveCycle Designer ES

Level 1

Hello,

I would like to create a form that contains text boxes that allows both free text entry and an option to select text from a suggestion text box that applies to the specific field.

The goal is that once the text field is selected, a box appears next to the test field with multiple options for phrases that can be used in the text field. When any phrase is selected by the user, it appears within the text field and the person can change the added text, add more text from the suggested phrases or add text freely.

Is there such an option in any of the form products?

Thank you

10 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

Here is an example: https://acrobat.com/#d=d0VFKQCA-DJemAXnZx28mQ.

The difficulty with the suggestions appearing when the user enters the textfield, is that to select from the listbox the user is exiting from the textfield. So you would have to cinsider how you want the suggestions to disappear.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 1

Thank you. The link won't open for some reason. Could you try to send it again or explain to me how to do this?

Again, thank you very much.

Level 10

Hi,

The link seems to be working here: https://acrobat.com/#d=d0VFKQCA-DJemAXnZx28mQ. The file is published on Acrobat.com. Try this link as well: http://assure.ly/q30QhI.

The example is based on using a Listbox for the suggested topics and setting the value of the textfield based on the choice the user makes in the listbox.

You could have a radio button or checkbox to control the visibility of the listbox.

Niall 

Level 1

First of all, thank you. It helps a lot. There is one minor problem that I do not know how to solve:

The way it is consructed now, every time I choose an option from the list, it erases the other options. I would like to be able to choose multiple options from the dropdown list and add them to the same text box. I tried clicking the "Allow Multiple Selection" in the Object Palette-Field tab, but it doesn't change anything.

I am not a programmer so if there is an option to do this, if you could write the exact script, as you did before, that would be great.

Again, thank you very much and havea great day!

Oded

Level 10

Hi,

I have updated the example, which is available here: https://acrobat.com/#d=d0VFKQCA-DJemAXnZx28mQ.

Basically I have moved the script to the exit event of the listbox (which is now set up to allow multiple selections). Please note that if the user types data into the textfield AND then make a selection in the listbox, this will overwrite their data.

It depends on what interaction you are after.

Niall

Level 1

Mr O/'Donovan,

I tried exactly as you said, and it didn't work. my purpose is to make an evaluation form. I want the evaluator to be able to choose from an existing list and then add his/her own comments. What you suggested doesn't allow multiple choosing and only changes the text box upon clicking. Are there other options? Thank you

Level 10

Hi,

Did you download the latest version? The script in the exit event (uses this.rawValue) is slightly different from that in the change event (uses xfa.event.newText).

There are probably many different options.

What I would probably go for is a series of checkboxes with standard choices and then a free textfield underneath for additional comments. This solution would not require script at all.

Does that help?

Niall

Level 1

I would also go for the checkboxes option, but my boss doesn't want that. He wants a single text box with the options to add and then edit th etext as pleased.

Is there an option to chat live, through skype or something? It would make things a lot easier and I could try to explain to you exactly what I am looking for...

thank you

Level 10

Send me a private message with your Skype details. I under a bit of pressure this week, but will give you as much time as I can.

Niall

Level 10

Hi,

I have tried you a couple of times on Skype, but can't reach you. I am going to be out of the office now for the rest of the week and will to a large extent be out of contact.

There are more examples on our site at www.assuredynamics.com and if you do a search on the site there may be other examples that can help you.

I hope that you get a solution working.

Niall