Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Problem view PDF Form in Chrome

Former Community Member

Hi all,

I have a short-lived process to return the PDF to the client.

With IE and Firefox, it works fine, i.e I can view the PDF in the browser.

With Chrome, I see this message:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF

viewer may not be able to display this type of document.

You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by

visiting  http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.

For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit  http://www.adobe.com/support/products/

acrreader.html.

Windows is either a registered trademark or a trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Mac is a trademark

of Apple Inc., registered in the United States and other countries. Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other

countries.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In one machine with Adobe Reader 9.4.0, I can view it in Chrome.

In other machines with Adobe Reader 9.4.1 and Adobe Reader X I cannot view it in Chrome.

Which can be the cause of the problem?

Sample pdf: http://launchpadlibrarian.net/52021969/ch2-online.pdf

Thank you and regards,

Anh

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

The deactivate the Chromium PDF Viewer plugin enter the URL chrome://settings/content, scroll to the very end and activate the check box the use you default PDF viewer. Whenever you now open a PDF from a website Chrome will download and open it with you local PDF Viewer like Acrobat.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Former Community Member

I think the problem is with Google Chrome 8. I just updated to latest version (8.0.552.215) and can replicate the problem in my machine.

Level 2

Chrome just reealased and update so now by default it uses its own PDF viewer.

To disbale it

Tools>Options>Under the Bonnet>Content Settings>Plug-ins>Disbale individual plug-ins

Scroll down and you will see Chrome PDF Viewer

Click Disable

Kind Regards

Kev

Level 1

This problem seems to be caused by an interaction between Chrome and Adobe Acrobat Reader.  The old Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI) from 1995 that had security issues appears to have been replaced by Google with PPAPI (Pepper Programming Interface).

I am running Windows 10 and version 52.0.2473.82 of Google Chrome.

To fix this problem, I did the following:

1. In the Chrome address bar, type:  chrome://flags

2. Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the list until you see: Enable PPAPI Win32k Lockdown. Windows

3. From the dropdown select: PDF only

4. Relaunch Chrome

5. In the Chrome address bar, type chrome://plugins

6. Disable the Chrome PDF Viewer

7. Enable the Adobe Flash Player

8. Exit and relaunch Chrome again.

Level 2

Hi Threshold Energies,

I tried your solution on the latest chrome (Version 52.0.2743.116 m) to open my XDP forms with data without success.

The issues are:

if IE is default browser, the pdf form is open in IE without the data filled in.

If Chrome is default browser, the pdf form will be download first, click it to open in Acrobat Pro without data as well.

How to resolve this?

Best regards,

Michael

Former Community Member

The flags method is not working. I am now using a workaround by checking the option "Open PDF file in the default PDF viewer application.

I would want to just open the pdf file through chrome itself any solutions?

Level 7

In my experience, Chrome will show Static Forms but not Dynamic forms. IE11 seems to be the only browser that still fully supports dynamic forms.

Correct answer by
Level 10

The deactivate the Chromium PDF Viewer plugin enter the URL chrome://settings/content, scroll to the very end and activate the check box the use you default PDF viewer. Whenever you now open a PDF from a website Chrome will download and open it with you local PDF Viewer like Acrobat.

Level 1

I have tried this and it is still not working.  I know this is an old post.  Any updated info on how to fix this would be appreciated!  Thank you!

Employee

@asibley ,

4 years on - all those browsers have lost the ability to run the old style plugins - hence Adobe Reader/Acrobat plugin will not be opened inside the browser any more. This means that XFA based PDF forms (Adobe Designer or AEM Forms) will not work inside Chrome, Mozilla or Edge any more. 

The only way to get such a form displayed is to flatten it to a standard "print-PDF".

The interactive forms must be downloaded and opened in Adobe Reader/Acrobat to be used.

Level 4

Hi 

If you still need it then you are create a JSP or Node JS page to open a PDF using PDF embed API

https://www.adobe.io/apis/documentcloud/dcsdk/pdf-embed.html

this utility will help solve any PDF viewing issues and compactible across browsers and form factor

or use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adobe-acrobat/efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj?hl=en 

Level 3

Radzmar has the right answer.

Level 1

chrome://settings/content/pdfDocuments?search=pdf
Chrome version 86.0.4240.75

Level 1

I have fixed my problem by turning Off Make searches and browsing better option. here