Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

OLEDB connections in Designer ES2 not available

Level 2

I am working in Designer ES2 with a form that someone else created in Designer 8.2.  I would like to create an OLEDB data connection, but it is not displayed as an option.

The Designer ES2 documentation (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/9.0/designerHelp/index.htm?content=000006.html) says that an OLEDB connection can be used.  The documentation says, "OLEDB is the only database connection that you can connect to from Designer ES2. "

However, when I try "File --> New Data Connection...", my only options are XML Schema, Sample XML Data, Adobe Data Model, and WSDL File.  OLEDB is not an option.  In fact, all options except WSDL file are disabled.

My form already has one XML Schema connection and one WSDL connection.  I would like to add an OLEDB connection.

Do I need to change something in my form properties to enable OLEDB connections?

Thanks!

Toby

6 Replies

Former Community Member

If you create a new form does the option exist?

Paul

Level 2

Paul

Thanks for the quick response.

No, the option does not exist in a new form, either.  Same options as the current form, but none are disabled.

Toby

Former Community Member

What OS are you running on ...is it possible that OleDB has been disabled on your machine?

I have never seen this issue before.

If you go under your control panel can you create an ODBC  DataSource?

Paul

Level 2

Paul

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP3.  OLEDB is not disabled.  I can create an ODBC connection through the control panel.

Thanks for your help

Toby

Level 2

More clues:

I re-installed Workbench and Designer -- same problem.  However, I noticed that if I open Designer without opening Workbench, the OLEDB option appears.  So, the OLEDB option is only missing when Workbench is also open.  Obviously, this is not convenient.  Any ideas?

Level 2

Paul

I was able to add a connection by saving a copy of my form outside of Workbench, closing Workbench, and opening the form in Designer.  I then added the form back to my Workbench project.  This is inconvenient, but gets around the problem for now.

Toby