Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.
SOLVED

Need Help with Simple Coding Question (substring or charAt)

Level 1

Hello,

I have what I believe to be a simple coding question i was hoping someone could help answer. I know how to do a decent amount of things but am pretty new to Livecycle, and am trying to alter one of our PDF's so that if a certain field has a number beginning with the number 6 a certain button will become visible. I already have a set of code that is controlling the visibility of this button, but I wanted to add this clause to it. Can someone help me do this?

Here is the existing code:

if((QuestionsPage2.COIQuestions.COIYN.rawValue == "1" &&

QuestionsPage2.EmailButtons.NSFCheck.rawValue == "1") &&

(QuestionsPage2.ManagerSignature.ManagerDate.rawValue != null &&

QuestionsPage2.ManagerSignature.ManagerCheckBox.rawValue != null &&

QuestionsPage2.ManagerSignature.ManagerSignature.rawValue != null))

{

QuestionsPage2.PasswordSection.RiskPassword.presence = "visible";

QuestionsPage2.PasswordSection.PurchUseOnly.presence = "visible";

QuestionsPage2.PasswordSection.HRPassword.presence = "visible";

QuestionsPage2.EmailButtons.EmailContractsAndRisk.presence = "visible";

}

I want to add in the top section to look at the specific field at the first character to see if its a 6 or not. Here is what I have tried to do, but it hasnt worked.

if((QuestionsPage2.COIQuestions.COIYN.rawValue == "1" &&

QuestionsPage2.EmailButtons.NSFCheck.rawValue == "1" &&

ContractInfo.AgreementDetails.Org.substring(0,1) != "6" )

The field type I am looking at is a "Numeric Field" field with 4 characters.

Can someone help me fix my code so that this works?

Thanks!!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

you don't need to do such a work around, all what you didn't notice is that NumericField is not a string is always a numeric (Number)

so You cannot use substring on a integer or decimal... unless it's a string.. so use the toString() after the .rawValue like this

This should be working.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

I hope ORG is a field in your form. Try to change you code slightly as below and verifyt the output.

ContractInfo.AgreementDetails.Org.rawValue.substring(0,1) != "6"

Hope this will resolve your issue.

Nith

Level 1

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately that did not work. I found a work around, doing (ContractInfo.AgreementDetails.Org.rawValue >= 6000 && ContractInfo.AgreementDetails.Org.rawValue <=6999).

I would still like to know why the substring command wasnt working correctly. I have tried many different variations and none of them work.

A crazy work-around I did was this:

var str = ContractInfo.AgreementDetails.Org.rawValue;

TextField1.rawValue = str;

TextField2.rawValue = TextField1.substr(0,1);

TextField2 was indeed correctly populated, but I do not know why i have to go through this crazy work around. Does anyone know why the following doesnt work?

var str = ContractInfo.AgreementDetails.Org.rawValue.substr(0,1)

Correct answer by
Level 10

you don't need to do such a work around, all what you didn't notice is that NumericField is not a string is always a numeric (Number)

so You cannot use substring on a integer or decimal... unless it's a string.. so use the toString() after the .rawValue like this

This should be working.

Level 1

Thank you so much! Worked perfectly! I thought that there must be something with the coding and that was it!