Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Linking a form to a MS Access database

Level 5

Good Day All;

Well on to the next step in my evolution. I am trying to connect my form with a MS Access database and I get the following message on the JAVA consol when I open the form.

this.getField("form1[0].requester_info[0].Table3[0].Row1[0].DateTimeField1[0]") has no properties

1:Doc:Exec

What have I done so far……

All fields have been named. The field the error message is pointing to is named “date”.

All field names have been duplicated in the Access database. Single table.

I have gone through the “New Data Connection” and selected the following

Named the connection = R_R_Request

Selected “OLEDB Database”

Provider = Microsoft OLE DB Provider ODBC Drivers

Use connection string  MS Access

Selected database (mdb) on my “C” drive. There is no login or password

Test connection was successful

This gave me a connection string =

Provider=MSDASQL;Persist Security Info=False;Extended Properties="DSN=MS Access Database;DBQ=C:\Documents and Settings\dxn707\My Documents\r_r_resp.mdb;DefaultDir=C:\Documents and Settings\dxn707\My Documents;DriverId=25;FIL=MS Access;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;UID=admin;"

Record Source = Table   ( r_r_resp)

Cursor Type = Static

Cursor Location = Client

Lock type = Optimistic

BOF Action = Move first

EOF Action = Move last

Any help would be great

3 Replies

Former Community Member

You are using AcroForm commands on an XFA form ...that is a nono. To access that field you simply use the form name , a dot, then the property/method that you want. If you want the contents of the field then the rawValue property is what you are after. So fieldname.rawValue. The this.getField syntax makes no sense in this context hence the error.

Hope you realize that the form must be Reader Extended to allow for data connections from Reader ... the Reader Extensions muust be done on the server version ...not in Acrobat. If you are using Acrobat then disregard this last point.

Hope that helps

Paul

Level 5

Thanks Paul;

Oops, I guess I am going about this in the wrong way. After reading your answer the lights came on. Let me explain. What I am “trying” to do is get the data on this form to update a MS Access database. I am the first one to say that an Access database may not be the best solution to use, but it is what I have for now. Later, if this passes the “proof of concept” stage I should be able to run on a proper server.

So, in a perfect world this is what I am trying to end up with for the “proof of concept”.

End user would complete the form (hopefully straight forward) and click on a “submit” button. The submit button would do 2 things.

1)       Submit the completed form (as a form) via e-mail and

2)       Update the database with all the information except for 1 field. It’s a privacy issue.

The submit in an e-mail I have figured out as you change the line

<submit format="xml" target="mailto     to

<submit format="pdf" target="mailto

The part I am missing is the updating of the database. I thought if I created the connection (using the “New Connection” button I would at least be part way there. Would you be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks again Paul

Chomp

Former Community Member

Access is not the best thing to work with. You will have to create a new record then do an update record to get your data in there. I have had mixed results in using Acess but if I use a real database I have had no problems. I have done presentations on this topic in the past. Here is a link to that presentation. I would start there and ask more questions if you need to.

http://adobechats.adobe.acrobat.com/p69655795/

Paul