Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.
SOLVED

Field length restrictions

Former Community Member

Hello,

I have a postal code field that is currently restricted to 7 characters including a space. The format is A0A0A0 and the program will automatically put the space in the middle when the user tabs over.  I want the user to enter only 6 characters but If i put that restriction in, it hides one of the letters as it it counts the space as one of the 6 characters.  If I change it to allow 7 characters, then the user can enter the whole 7 characters, but I only want them to enter 6 plus still allow for a space. Does this make sense?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Well,

there are several ways to realize this.

The easiest would be the pattern text{A0A 0A0} (with a space at the fourth position) and a limitation to 6 characters.

Another option would be a regular expression that allows both variation of input (limit to 7 characters with space and 6 characters without space), but those expression are another story and everything but trivial.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Well,

there are several ways to realize this.

The easiest would be the pattern text{A0A 0A0} (with a space at the fourth position) and a limitation to 6 characters.

Another option would be a regular expression that allows both variation of input (limit to 7 characters with space and 6 characters without space), but those expression are another story and everything but trivial.

Former Community Member

Thank you for your response radzmar. Below is what I have in the exit event currently. So I tried what you suggested by going to paterns but it is still not working for me.

if (!(this.isNull)) {

var str = this.rawValue;

if (str.length != 6) {

xfa.host.messageBox("Please enter a six character postal code in the format A9A9A9.");

}

else {

var regExp = /^([R]\d[A-Z]\d[A-Z]\d)$/i;

if (regExp.test(str)) {

str = str.toUpperCase();

this.rawValue = str.substring(0,3) + " " + str.substring(3,6);

}

else {

xfa.host.messageBox("Please enter the postal code in the format A9A9A9, where the postal code must begin with R.");

}

}