Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Expanding rows crowd form

Level 4

Please help me with this problem:

In Adobe livecycle designer es I have an xdp file with a table with add/remove row buttons that work.  However when I add rows to the run-time pdf, the table expands into the footer or the next subform, crowding out or overwriting other things on the form.

How do I automatically set the table or row (this row is known as a "detail") so that when I add a new row, the area alotted for the table automatically expands and it doesn't crowd/overwrite other sectiosn or elements on the form?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

I am by no means an ES expert, but the way i handle this problem is to wrap the dynamic table in a subform. In the object palette, on the subform tab, set the control from "Positioned" to "Flowed"  Then set flow direct to western text or top to bottom depending on your needs. This sometimes creates format issues so it is good if your table spans the width of the page; otherwise you may be to adjust somethings.

Then go to the page your table is on in the heirarchy tab, and set that page to "Flowed" in the Object palette, subform tab. Check the "allow page breaks within content" checkbox.

This should allow you to click on add rows, and in the event the rows hit the bottem of the page, will automatically flow to the next page. All content below the table should flow after the table as well.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 4

I am by no means an ES expert, but the way i handle this problem is to wrap the dynamic table in a subform. In the object palette, on the subform tab, set the control from "Positioned" to "Flowed"  Then set flow direct to western text or top to bottom depending on your needs. This sometimes creates format issues so it is good if your table spans the width of the page; otherwise you may be to adjust somethings.

Then go to the page your table is on in the heirarchy tab, and set that page to "Flowed" in the Object palette, subform tab. Check the "allow page breaks within content" checkbox.

This should allow you to click on add rows, and in the event the rows hit the bottem of the page, will automatically flow to the next page. All content below the table should flow after the table as well.

Level 4

Really helpful -- it did the trick.  One word of warning to other readers, while this didn't hurt the layout of my form, certain elements (such as within my own table) are absolutely ruined by setting content to "Flowed" instead of "Positioned" so this should not be used as a cure-all.  None-the-less, thanks for a quick, accurate, and well done reply that was truly helpful!!!

Level 4

Yes, when you change the flow parameter it wrecks havoc with a previously perfectly formatted document. I will ask others if they have a cure to that problem. I sometimes try two tricks to minimize this problem: (1) ensure that objects fill the page from left to right; or (2) I sometimes insert "fillers" suck as rectangle to fill out the space from left to right.

I am sure there are better ideas. Any thoughts?

Level 4

Now when I save, only the top row saves (this is probably a completely different problem).  Any idea why the entire dynamic table doesn't save?

I'm going to re-ask this as its own question.

Level 4

The link to the question on its own is here, if anyone ever needs it, assuming nothing gets moved in the future:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5385949