Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Expandable Field with Flowing Text

Level 1

I can't seem to find the right answer for what I'm trying to accomplish.

I need to be able to expand a field and have the following text fields move/flow as need be .

Example:

Text1

Text Field1 (expandable..working ok)

Text2 (will not move down as above field expands---overlaps)

Text Field 2 (will not move down----overlapped by Text Field1)

The Text Fields need to be able to "push" all other fields as it expands. Even if that means one to another page.

I have pdf saved in "Dynamic "...Fields set to "expand to fit"......also "allow multiple lines"...etc

What next?

Thanks in advance.

(I really wish I could take a class on this)

stuck

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Your "field 1" (the one that is expanding) needs to be in its own subform.    from the hierarchy tab you can highlight that field, right click and make that field a subform.   once that is done, you can set that subform to "flowable" by highlighting the subform in the hierarchy, then going over to the subform property in the object panel and selecting content = "flowed".   (default is "positioned")

Now, very important, is to put all fields below that in another subform and make that subform = flowed.   this is the key that will push the fields down and keep them from being overwritten.   as long as you have no more "expanding text fields" below "field 1", just select multiple fields in the hierarchy by using CNTL left click, then right click and contain them in a subform.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Former Community Member

Ensure your subform is set to Flow, this allows the text fields to flow as they expand.

Level 1

I don't know how to do that. I have only one form. I began by importing from a pdf. Saved it Dynamic. Cleaned up some of the spacings..etc...Went through and changed the necessary fields to "expand to fit". The tabs at the top are only "Design View" and "Preview PDF"...

I'm sorry, this is the first I've ever used LiveCyle and have only messed with Acrobat itself for about a month now.

Correct answer by
Level 2

Your "field 1" (the one that is expanding) needs to be in its own subform.    from the hierarchy tab you can highlight that field, right click and make that field a subform.   once that is done, you can set that subform to "flowable" by highlighting the subform in the hierarchy, then going over to the subform property in the object panel and selecting content = "flowed".   (default is "positioned")

Now, very important, is to put all fields below that in another subform and make that subform = flowed.   this is the key that will push the fields down and keep them from being overwritten.   as long as you have no more "expanding text fields" below "field 1", just select multiple fields in the hierarchy by using CNTL left click, then right click and contain them in a subform.