Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.
SOLVED

Copy Instance Info - Help Niall

Level 3

My form has repeating instances. In some cases the addes instance is almost exactly like a previous instance. I would like an addInstance that would add the instance with the information from this.parent.index field if that is possible.

So when clicking on add instance it would prompt the user for the line number to be copied. If that's not possible, then copying the last line entered would be the workaround.

This is the last major piece of the puzzle for this form. The add instance I'm using now looks like....

this.resolveNode('Subform3.Subform2._Subform1').addInstance(1);

if

(xfa.host.version < 8) {xfa.form.recalculate(1);}

Thanks -pc

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Here is the form back to you:

https://acrobat.com/#d=W1ahUb9VljMPZ2h3HisngA

There were a few issues:

1. You have the new lines in the if statement, so that it would only run if the version was 8 or lower.
  2. You were still referring to an object in my form "sendTo".
  3. The count method is part of the instanceManager, so the Subform1 needs a "_" in front of it. The "_" is shorthand for instanceManager.
  4. Because the dropdown does not allow custom entries, you dont need the addItem line.

I have removed the resolveNode, so you can have a look at this. I would recommend naming objects as you drag them onto the form. Mainly because if you name them after, you will have to work back through your script and change the references.

In the line number, I have added a "+1" to count for the zero-based index. I have also moved the script to the layout:ready event, so that as instances are removed the numbering will be corrected.

Hope that helps,

Niall

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

I have an example here, where on click a new instance is added and the value of the "Send to" is inserted into the value of the "Reviewer" in the new instance.

https://acrobat.com/#d=HD6XJ1qofZDf713Yq1P43g

Not exactly what you want, but it should be close enough to show the process/script.

Also if you name subforms, with different names, then you will not need to resolve the node.

I am heading out for a walk and will have a think about specifing the row that needs to be copied.

Niall

Level 3

Not working but I may be close?

form1.Subform4.Button2::click - (JavaScript, client)

this.resolveNode('Subform3.Subform2._Subform1').addInstance(1);

if

(xfa.host.version < 8) {fa.form.recalculate(1);

var

lastRow = Subform1.count - 1;

var

secondLastRow = lastRow - 1;

var

oItem = xfa.resolveNode("form1.Subform3.Subform2.Subform1[" + secondLastRow + "]").TrussType.rawValue;

// add the item to the dropdown

xfa.resolveNode("form1.Subform3.Subform2.Subform1["

+ lastRow + "]").TrussType.addItem(oItem);

// set the value of the dropdown

+ lastRow + "]").TrussType.rawValue = oItem;

}

If i can get one of the fields to copy down (TrussType) I can figure out the rest.

http://share.planswift.com/download/?file=Y8XDGYQZ-ZKCK-NV6M-ILZA-XWM7LKTDNWW

"Also if you name subforms, with different names, then you will not need to resolve the node."

Once I get these last two items working I will circle back and try to fix this issue.....

Thanks,

-pc

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Here is the form back to you:

https://acrobat.com/#d=W1ahUb9VljMPZ2h3HisngA

There were a few issues:

1. You have the new lines in the if statement, so that it would only run if the version was 8 or lower.
  2. You were still referring to an object in my form "sendTo".
  3. The count method is part of the instanceManager, so the Subform1 needs a "_" in front of it. The "_" is shorthand for instanceManager.
  4. Because the dropdown does not allow custom entries, you dont need the addItem line.

I have removed the resolveNode, so you can have a look at this. I would recommend naming objects as you drag them onto the form. Mainly because if you name them after, you will have to work back through your script and change the references.

In the line number, I have added a "+1" to count for the zero-based index. I have also moved the script to the layout:ready event, so that as instances are removed the numbering will be corrected.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 10

Hi,

I have mocked up an example, which uses the response method to ask the user which row they want to copy.

It is available here: http://assure.ly/fdwtIv

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 3

Thanks Niall the copy last line works great.

If you get any ideas on how to copy a specific line that would be cool.

I did loose the functionality of the line count object.....see attached.

http://share.planswift.com/download/?file=NXVV67E8-D1LC-1TJO-T3IM-VI8FSGD6NLC

Thanks for all your help!!! I couldn't have made it through this without it.

-pc

Level 10

Hi,

When I moved the script to the layout:ready event I didn't check it. Because the language is set to javascript it is missing "this.rawValue = " at the begining.

Please change it to:

this.rawValue = this.parent.index + 1; 

It should work then.

I added in the "+1", because the index is zero-based, but you probably want the line numbers to start as "1".

I have the working example of where the user can select the row to copy here: http://assure.ly/fdwtIv.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 3

I actually figured the one index myself belive it or not...

I've tried to extrapolate your example on copying a line but can't get it to run...am I close? I know my subform naming is causing this to be more difficult than it is probably....and the fact that I'm not very good at this (yet) doesn't help either...here is where I am....

form1.Subform4.Button3::click - (JavaScript, client)

// set up the question, based on the current number of rows

var

vQuestion = "Select which row you want to copy. \n\nEnter a number between 1 and " + Subform3.Subform2._Subform1.count + ". \n\nClick Cancel if you do not want to copy an existing row.";

// add the new row

// '_' is shorthand for instanceManager, eg '_Row1'

Subform3.Subform2._Subform1.addInstance(

true);

// ask which row the user wants to copy

var

vTarget = xfa.host.response(vQuestion, "Copy a row") - 1;

// new row

var

vNewRow = Subform3.Subform2._Subform1.count - 1;

if

(vTarget >= 0 && vTarget < Subform3.Subform2._Subform1.count)

{

// copy the value of the dropdown in the selected row

var oItem = xfa.resolveNode("form1.Subform3.Subform2.Subform1[" + vTarget + "]").description.rawValue;

+ vNewRow + "]").description.rawValue = oItem;

+ vNewRow + "]").description.execEvent("exit");

}

else

if (vTarget == null || vTarget == -1)

{

// do not copy, but also do not give audio feedback

}

else

{

xfa.host.beep("1");

// warn the user if number is outside range

}

Level 10

Hi,

You need to change the script so that it is referencing objects in your form. For example "description" is the name of the dropdown in my form. You need to change this to the name of the object inyour form for the script to work.

Niall

Level 3

Am I getting close?

// set up the question, based on the current number of rows

var

vQuestion = "Select which row you want to copy. \n\nEnter a number between 1 and " +

form1.Subform3.Subform2._Subform1.count

+ ". \n\nClick Cancel if you do not want to copy an

existing row.";

// add the new row

// '_' is shorthand for instanceManager, eg '_Row1'

form1.Subform3.Subform2._Subform1.addInstance(

true);

// ask which row the user wants to copy

var

vTarget = xfa.host.response(vQuestion, "Copy a row") - 1;

// new row

var

vNewRow = form1.Subform3.Subform2._Subform1.count - 1;

if

(vTarget >= 0 && vTarget < form1.Subform3.Subform2._Subform1.count)

{

// copy the value of the dropdown in the selected row

var

oItem = xfa.resolveNode("form1.Subform3.Subform2._Subform1[" + vTarget + "]").TrussType.rawValue;

xfa.resolveNode("form1.Subform3.Subform2._Subform1["

+ vNewRow + "]").TrussType.rawValue = oItem;

xfa.resolveNode("form1.Subform3.Subform2._Subform1["

+ vNewRow + "]").TrussType.execEvent("exit");

}

else

if (vTarget == null || vTarget == -1)

{

// do not copy, but also do not give audio feedback

}

else

{

xfa.host.beep("1");

// warn the user if number is outside range

}

Level 10

Hi,

In my example there is script in the exit event of the description dropdown. This is why I have the line execEvent("exit"). If you do not have script in your TrussType dropdown, then you do not need that line of script.

What is happening when you click the button?

When debugging you should open the JavaScript Console (Control+J). When you click the button, if there is a problem with the script it may show up in the console.

Also In the Script Editor window there is a "check syntax" button at the top. If you click this it will highlight errors in the script in red.

Looking at the script the main error I see is that in the lines where you are resolving the node to the particular instances of the subform you have the underscore ("_") in front of the Subform1 reference. This is an error, you only need the underscore where you are calling the instanceManager, for tasks such as .count, .addInstance, .removeInstance, etc.

There are three locations where you are resolving the node, I am just showing one corrected line here, without the _ in front of Subform1:

xfa.resolveNode("form1.Subform3.Subform2.Subform1[" + vTarget + "]").TrussType.rawValue;

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 3

Awesome - working fine now .... did a script syntex check and found the problem right away.

Think I'm good to go....Thanks for all your help!