Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Cannot enter static Text, Images

Level 1

I posted this on the LiveCycle Forms first, then realized that I was using Designer... should I be using Forms?  I have Adobe Professional -- it seems to only have Designer for forms.  Any thoughts?

I originally tried to import a pdf form that already a 'form'; I figure the originators had set a certain parameter that didn't allow me to insert Text or Objects.  So I created a little form in Word, saved it as a pdf and opened it in Adobe;.  Selected 'Forms' and LiveCycle Designer opened; it detected the fields, then I tried to add Object 'Text' but it isn't available to add as it is grayed out (neither are lines, circles, images).  

Thank you for any understanding of this behavior... it seems like I must have the wrong form 'type' turned on but I cannot find the right setting.  I attached the Word-created pdf first (typwritten test) then the original form I downloaded.

Again thanks for your time.  If you can point me in the right direction -- this is driving me nuts ;-)

Attachments:
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

It largely depends on how you want the form to behave and how you will process the data. The trouble with importing a Word or existing PDF form into LC Designer is that it does not have the same level of functionality. There are about three options:

1. Add fields in Acrobat Pro and don't go near LC Designer. You might choose this if the form is just a fill-in and send back. Also if you don't need the form to grow dynamically (eg text boxes automatically growing in height etc) then staying in Acrobat is a good option.
  2. Start from scratch in LC Designer, you import the existing form as a JPEG and place this on the master page. Then on the design view you would overlay the image with objects (in this case you will be able to add static text, lines and circles, etc). However this is not a good solution of you want text boxes to grow in height, as the background image will not grow).
  3. Import the PDF into LC Designer as you have done, but then accept that you cannot have dynamic features nor add certain objects.

Having a quick look at the form, I would recommend adding the text fields (form objects) in Acrobat. While developing forms in Acrobat does not give you the same range of functionality (imho), it works very well for straightforward forms that don't need dynamic behaviour. I have attached your test form, which I have added fields in Acrobat.

Screenshots:

Acrobat1.png

Acrobat2.png

Acrobat3.png

Acrobat4.png

Above are the range of objects you can add to the AcroForm (form developed in Acrobat), including static text (TextField with properties set to read only). Also you can change the visual appearance of objects, add tooltips and script for custom behaviour).

Hope that helps,

Niall

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 3

For adding text use the Touchup Text Tool in Acrobat.

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

It largely depends on how you want the form to behave and how you will process the data. The trouble with importing a Word or existing PDF form into LC Designer is that it does not have the same level of functionality. There are about three options:

1. Add fields in Acrobat Pro and don't go near LC Designer. You might choose this if the form is just a fill-in and send back. Also if you don't need the form to grow dynamically (eg text boxes automatically growing in height etc) then staying in Acrobat is a good option.
  2. Start from scratch in LC Designer, you import the existing form as a JPEG and place this on the master page. Then on the design view you would overlay the image with objects (in this case you will be able to add static text, lines and circles, etc). However this is not a good solution of you want text boxes to grow in height, as the background image will not grow).
  3. Import the PDF into LC Designer as you have done, but then accept that you cannot have dynamic features nor add certain objects.

Having a quick look at the form, I would recommend adding the text fields (form objects) in Acrobat. While developing forms in Acrobat does not give you the same range of functionality (imho), it works very well for straightforward forms that don't need dynamic behaviour. I have attached your test form, which I have added fields in Acrobat.

Screenshots:

Acrobat1.png

Acrobat2.png

Acrobat3.png

Acrobat4.png

Above are the range of objects you can add to the AcroForm (form developed in Acrobat), including static text (TextField with properties set to read only). Also you can change the visual appearance of objects, add tooltips and script for custom behaviour).

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 1

Thank you so very much for such a thorough answer -- sometimes, just knowing the tools' capability/ limitations is all that's needed.  I appreciate your help!

A quick question, ultimately I will fill in multiple forms from a database of clients (to avoid filling in items over and over again)... will Acrobat Pro support this or will I need Designer at that point?

Thanks again!!

Level 10

Hi,

Your welcome - Acrobat and LC Designer are powerful tools.

Here is a summary of how to deploy a form (eg whether or not the users have Acrobat or are using Reader AND if the form is Reader Enabled or not).

I haven't used Acrobat to create an AcroForm that talks to a database. It probably can be done - I just haven't). When it comes to databases, then I would recommend using LC Designer. it has built-in tools for establishing a data connection and binding data to objects in the form.

However have a read of this summary, because data connections are not available when you reader enable the form. This may not be a problem for you, if you are using Acrobat. But for users with Reader they will not be able to connect.

When you start using data connections in LC Designer, you should have a look/search at Stefan Cameron's blog - it is excellent.

Hope that helps,

Niall