Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.
SOLVED

Can you create a user entered text field that flows content in a subform?

Former Community Member

I am working on a conversion project taking a document library of over 600 forms from Word into PDF, for the most part it's simple and binding fields to the database schema and using subforms is working quite well - however, there are some instances where there is a combination of user entered fields mixed with database fields and in some cases the end user fields are all there are but the amount of content can vary from 250 characters to thousands.  The project manager wants a PDF that enables users to enter whatever amount of text they need to and have the form layout function the way it does as if all fields were populated by the database - I don't know of a way to make that work unless content is entered in the schema first (or implement CM and have all users working in LiveCycle, but the database uses PDF, sothat's not an option right now).

If anyone has any ideas how to make these things work I would greatly appreciate hearing about it.

Thank you so much,

R

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

If you can post your form in the post, I can have a look at it and provide my feedback.

I created a sample file for your reference..

1) The Content property for the Page1 was set to Flowed.

2) Each text box is placed inside a Subform which is also has the content property set to Flowed.

3) In the Form Properties, under the Default tab, set the PDF render format as Dynamic XML form.

4) In the Form Properties, under the Preview tab, set the Preview Type as "Interactive Form" and Preview Adobe XML Form as "Dynamic XML form". (this step is for the previewing the PDF in the designer).

5) Finally save the form as Dynamic XML form. (File Menu -> Save As).

Hope this helps.

If you still have issues, please post your form..

Thanks

Srini

Please find the sample file at the below location

https://acrobat.com/#d=qQohvZGsJrky-sTdPTJbzA

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Level 10

If I understand your requirement correctly, you wanted to allow the user to trype in the text from 250 characters to thousands and the text should flow in the subform.

Yes it is possible by placing a subform and make the content property to flowed. Place the text field inside the subform and in the Layout tab of the text field, check the Expand to fit checkbox to be checked.

Save the form as a dynamic XML form.

Thanks

Srini

Former Community Member

Thanks, I tried it but it doesn't work, while I can type in as much text as I want it only displays the amount of text that the visible area is set to, it also throws off the fragments I use that have the cc and address information in it. The text doesn't flow the same it does if it comes in from the Database - am I doing something wrong?

-Thanks,

R

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

If you can post your form in the post, I can have a look at it and provide my feedback.

I created a sample file for your reference..

1) The Content property for the Page1 was set to Flowed.

2) Each text box is placed inside a Subform which is also has the content property set to Flowed.

3) In the Form Properties, under the Default tab, set the PDF render format as Dynamic XML form.

4) In the Form Properties, under the Preview tab, set the Preview Type as "Interactive Form" and Preview Adobe XML Form as "Dynamic XML form". (this step is for the previewing the PDF in the designer).

5) Finally save the form as Dynamic XML form. (File Menu -> Save As).

Hope this helps.

If you still have issues, please post your form..

Thanks

Srini

Please find the sample file at the below location

https://acrobat.com/#d=qQohvZGsJrky-sTdPTJbzA

Former Community Member

Thank you Srini,

It is helping but I am still having issues - I have attached the form.  The fragments are displaying too close together - should I edit each fragment to allow for proper spacing?   I also can't get a second page to display when the text runs over 1 page I need the subsequent pages to display as well. Perhaps it is something on the master page that is creating the issue.

I have one other issue that is going to come up for my users, the text does not display until you click Print and can see the preview - this is going to cause major issues if they can't see what they are entering as they do it - it will create a huge bottleneck in producitivity.

I also have to save the form with a .xdp extension, I don't think that will cause problems.

Thank you so much for your time and help - I just don't know if I can give my clients everything they want.

-R

I can't attach files to replies?

Message was edited by: ryukhin

Former Community Member

Hello Srini,

I hope this gets to yoiu - I can't attach a file to replies in the forum - I

have tried everything you suggested and it works to a certain extent but not

the extent that I need it to to make the users happy. If there is anything

you see that you think might help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much,

Heather/Ryukhin

Level 10

You can upload your form in the below website..You need to login with your Adobe userid/ password.

Click on Upload in the Action section in the left tab.

After uploading the file, select a down arrow on the name of the file and select share. You can see a Copy link option in the new window.

Copy the link and paste it in the forum.

https://acrobat.com/

Level 10

I sent the modified form in a separate email. Please let me know if it helps.

Thanks

Srini

Former Community Member

Thank you Srini,

It helps tremendously - thank you - the only thing I cant' seem to make work

now, is the fragment placement of the two header sections - when I bring

them in they overlay the text fields - any ideas on how to make that stop?

but otherwise it looks and works quite well - THANK YOU!

-R

Level 10

You can try changing the content type for property to "Flowed" for both the subforms which holds your fragments. (See the attchment). This should fix the issue of overlapping.

Subform_Content_Type.jpg

Thanks

Srini

Former Community Member

THANK YOU! You have saved me countless hours of frustration - I truly

appreciate your help.

Best,

Heather