Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Attaching Files: Reader Extensions Enabled

Former Community Member

I may not be understanding rightly, but have used a couple of sample files that have an 'add attachment' example (below is from example), and my form is distributed with reader extensions enabled, but this does not work in Adobe Reader.  What is the best method to give the person completing the form an avenue to upload and/or attach files?  If I have a web upload address for files, is there a way to add that to the form so they can stay in the form and still 'submit' it, but send their files to the web address?  Would prefer if they could attach in the PDF form to keep everything together but welcome any ideas that will work in Reader, thank you.

var myDoc = event.target;

var sFile = "myFile" + NumericField1.rawValue;

myDoc.importDataObject({cName: sFile});

var myDataObject = myDoc.getDataObject(sFile);

var sFileName = myDataObject.path;

ListBox1.addItem(sFileName,sFile);

NumericField1.rawValue = NumericField1.rawValue + 1;

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Sparrowce,

I checked it at my end and i'm also getting the same issue. It seems that PDF rights enabled by Acrobat Reader extension would not provide necessary permission to the PDF to perform this task. However, i tried extending permissions via Livecycle Reader Extension server and it worked for me.

Hence, i would say that for this issue you would require the LC Reader extension server as Acrobat as a desktop product would not be able to provide sufficient rights to the PDF for this concern.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Employee

Try the below mentioned steps:

1. Open the PDF is Acrobat
  2. Click File>Save As> Reader Extended PDF > Enable Additional Feature
  3. Click "Save now"
  4. Then distribute the PDF again

Let me know if it helps.

Former Community Member

Thank you.  Tried those steps - at first it would not let me save as reader extended because it already was, so I 'saved a copy' without extensions enabled and did above steps, still didn't help.  I will try to get a sample posted and a link to it a little later.  Resolving this would be extremely helpful, but if it can't be done, need to know that, too, thanks.

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Sparrowce,

I checked it at my end and i'm also getting the same issue. It seems that PDF rights enabled by Acrobat Reader extension would not provide necessary permission to the PDF to perform this task. However, i tried extending permissions via Livecycle Reader Extension server and it worked for me.

Hence, i would say that for this issue you would require the LC Reader extension server as Acrobat as a desktop product would not be able to provide sufficient rights to the PDF for this concern.

Former Community Member

Thank you for checking it. I will check with our IT and see if the Reader Extension server you mentioned will be coming to our company.  Thanks, I won't spend any more time pursuing the file attachment avenue and will see about putting a link in my form for them to upload attachments to a project website.