Expand my Community achievements bar.

Submit vial Mailto: works sporadically

Former Community Member
I created several interactive forms that reside on an intranet; each form has a mailto: link that sends the filled-out form to two different email addresses. Note that we send the form images, not the XML data. The form is for in-house use only, and everyone has email that works. The form works for most people who have Reader 7, but does not work at all in Reader 8. Some Reader 7 users report "The operation is not permitted" errors. Some Reader 7 users report there is no error, no nothing... it just sits there and the cursor blinks rapidly for a second.

For about 80% of the people it works fine. I cannot figure out why it doesn't work for everyone.
9 Replies

Level 7
Did you enable form rights in the PDF? Without this, various versions

of Reader will certainly do nothing, report an error, or silently

submit an XML instead.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
I looked all through the Help and can find nothing about "enable form rights". Can you provide more specific information about what this is?

Former Community Member
I'm having the same problems & cant find how to enable form rights... please advise

Former Community Member
When I look at the form in Acrobat Reader 7.0.9, the file properties Security tab shows that Submitting Forms is Not allowed.

How do I reset this to allow submitting?

Level 7
You can enable the "Extended Reader Rights" with version 8 or a some of the LiveCycle Server products.

Former Community Member
So ... in order to take advantage of specifically stated allowable actions - create a form that Reader users can fill out and email - I have to now upgrade or buy an additional product? Humph!

If I open the form in Acrobat Pro 7 and look at the Security selections, Allow Submitting is not listed. I cannot find anything in LiveCycle Designer that will allow me to set the security settings to permit Submitting.

There must be a way.

Former Community Member
The LiveCycle Designer online Help file includes the following statement:

"Adobe Reader permits form filling, printing, and submitting only."

But Adobe Reader has Submit set to Not Permitted with no apparent way to turn it on.

There is an inherent contradiction here.

Level 7
Make sure you aren't trying to submit in PDF format, which is a

restricted function.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Thanks to Aandi's info (and finally a knowledgeable human on the other end of the Adobe tech support line), I got to the problem and the solution.

To enable a user to email a PDF form, you must open the form in Acrobat Pro 8, and Enable Usage Rights (under the Advanced menu). Once that's done, they can submit it.

Unfortunately, you can't do it in LiveCycle 7, you need Acrobat Pro 8.