Expand my Community achievements bar.

Submit via Mailto: works sporadically

Former Community Member
I created several interactive forms that reside on an intranet; each form has a mailto: link that sends the filled-out form to two different email addresses. The form is for in-house use only, and everyone has email that works. The form works for most people who have Reader 7, but does not work at all in Reader 8. Some Reader 7 users report "The operation is not permitted" errors. Some Reader 7 users report there is no error, no nothing... it just sits there and the cursor blinks rapidly for a second.

For about 80% of the people it works fine. I cannot figure out why it doesn't work for everyone.
5 Replies

Former Community Member
I am wondering if the mail client is not allowing this tyoe of connection. I have never had any issues using a mailto command in a form.

On the machines that are not working try it from a browser. If it does not work from there then you know that something is blocking the use of that protocol.

Former Community Member
The users can all successfully click other mailto: links on web pages. It's only the ones in the interactive PDF that don't work.

Former Community Member
When I look at the form in Acrobat Reader, the file properties Security tab shows that Submitting Forms is Not allowed.

How do I reset this to allow submitting?

Former Community Member
Hello John,

You can allow it by using Reader Extensions "Submit outside web browser". You have to give the permissions to form, so to be submitted by using Adobe Reader.

Asiye

Former Community Member
Problem "fixed." It seems you can't email PDF files using Acrobat Reader that were created using Designer 7.0, only the XML data associated with those files. Once I upgraded to Acrobat Pro 8 and enabled usage rights, it all worked fine. Thanks for the pointers.