Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

submit button - XML DATA

Former Community Member
Hi!

I'm working with Adobe LiveCycle Designer 7.x to create forms..

I need to "catch" the XML Data from a form using a perl script!

At this moment I don't know how works the submit button internally.

I figure out that when I create a Submit Button in a form with the XML Data option in the submit format list, and I put one http adress in the Submit to URL field, this is the target that LC Designer needs to know where put the data (in this case, just XML Data).

Now, to complete the job, I need a script that "catch" the XML Data and in my case, save the XML file in my ISP Server..

I'm learning perl but I don't know how do this task; could anyone help me?
5 Replies

Former Community Member
What's happening when you submit a form using an HTTP Submit is exactly the same (as far as script code on the server goes) as when a user submits an HTML form.

Now, I don't know much about perl scripting, but this similarity means you can find any example of how to process an HTML form submission and apply the same code to the problem of accepting a PDF form submission.

Hope this helps..

--

SteveX

Adobe Systems

Former Community Member
As an add on to what Steve said. One little difference is that HTML is not hierarchical like PDF. So for an HTML submission, when you want to get the value from a field called "Field1" you would get an attribute from the request buffer in "Field1". With PDF, you would actually be looking for something like "Form[0].SubForm[0].Field1[0]" in the buffer. Other than that is is exactly like any other processesing done with Perl.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Former Community Member
Trying some tests related to this Chris and I'm not sure I understand what I'm seeing.

I wrote some code that takes the form you submit and dumps it back to the browser. I created a form that has three fields:

TextField1

Subform1

TextField2

TextField3

So TextField2 is in a subform, TextField1 is on the page. When I type into each field and submit, what I get is:

TextField1=aa&TextField3=cc

This is the application/x-www-form-urlencoded body of the POST, which decodes to two fields, TextField1 and TextField3. I'm not sure why TextField2 didn't show up. Any ideas?

--

SteveX

Adobe Systems

Former Community Member
Not really, I rarely if ever use a URL encoded POST submit. But it does ring a bell with something someone around here was talking about the other day. How are you checking these values? (ie: where you submitting to).. I'll ask him about it tomorrow.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support