Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Runtime Error! FormDesigner.exe

Former Community Member
I keep getting the following error when I try to open ANYTHING in this program.

Runtime error!

ProgramFiles/Adobe/FormDesigner/formdesigner.exe

abnormal program termination

I click okay then get the remainder:

The instruction at "0x0178fab7" referenced memory at "0x02d97014". The memory could not be "written".

I had a similar error that said could not be read. I closed all programs, tried opening again with no luck. I uninstalled, rebooted, shut down everything, reinstalled and am getting the error listed above. I have looked in Microsoft help and Adobe forums and knowledge base and found nothing helpful. I am using Adobe Acrobat 7.0.5. Form Designer installed when acrobat did. Can somebody please tell me what to do to fix this!?

My thanks in advance!

Yolanda
8 Replies

Former Community Member
Hi Yolanda,

What version of Windows are you using? Are you installing Acrobat using an account that has admin privileges? You say you get an error message when opening a file so is it safe to assume that the program starts up properly and it only crashes when opening a file? Have you tried double clicking on a XDP file to start Designer?

Denver Green

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Former Community Member
Denver,

I am using Microsoft 2000 and yes, I am installing on the admin account. The program will open. I can look at the help file (not much help for this situation though). Upon your mentioning it, I tried to open it using the .xdp file and it did the same thing. When I try to create a new file, open a template, open an existing pdf, any action to open anything except "help" crashes the program.

Yolanda

Former Community Member
Hi Yolanda,

My only suggestion is to apply all applicable patches to Windows, completely uninstall Acrobat and Designer, re-boot your machine, and then re-install.

Make sure you have plenty of disk space when doing the re-install.

Denver

Level 2
Hi Yolanda,

I'm getting the same thing - but only when I attempt to setup a data connection to an XML file or schema - otherwise everything works fine.

I'm wondering if the XML parser or similar is an issue?

Here's the message dialogue box I'm getting - I'm running Win XP, SP1 all the latest patches and Adobe Designer 7,0,041126 -

I hope there is an easy answer to this - and not "uninstall, reinstall" - something with a little more depth and understanding of the real issue that is causing this?

I have ordered the 7.1 upgrade just in case that is the only answer here - but obviously I'll have to wait till that ships to me.

Thanks, DW

=========== Error Display ========

Microsoft C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program C:\Prog...

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Level 2
I was correct on this - the DataConnection parser only works for XDP formatted files - not regular XML. Therefore this runtime error goes away - when you change your XML example to have XDP header and footer tags.

Former Community Member
Dennis,

I'm glad you found out what was wrong with it on your system!!!

I'm only trying to work on an existing pdf file or open one of their own templates. I can start up formdesigner.exe, I can look at all the pretty menus and preruse the help file but the moment I attempt to create a new form, open a template or existing pdf file I get the runtime error and the program force quits.

I'm running Windows2000 SP4 with all updates current for my OS and Adobe. I'm running the version that came bundled with Acrobat Professional 7.0 so I can not just update the form designer :(

Yolanda

Former Community Member
Denver,

I did all the things you suggested to no avail. I am still getting the same error with a different memory address (guess Acrobat took up residence in a new neighborhood).

Any other suggestions!?

Thanks!!

Yolanda

MS Windows 2000 SP4

Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.0.5

Level 1

Add me to the list. I was fine until I installed the trial version

of Acrobat X. I had been running Acrobat 9.

4 Pro Extended on Windows XP. After removing the trial versi

on, LiveCycle Designer  gives

me the Runtime C++ error pointing to FormDesigner

.exe and crashes when I select the PDF Preview tab. I have run the repa

ir/reinstall several times and robooted several times. I guess the lesson is

to leave Adobe trial versions alone.

Mike