Expand my Community achievements bar.

Receiving an exception

Level 2
Hello,

we are trying to capture an exception information in a LiveCycle Process.

We drew a route from the exception event catch to an exception event, and from the exception event to an action that writes to a file.

But the file is not written. The log says :

"An exception was thrown with name java.lang.Exception message:[...exception message...] while invoking service [...ServiceName...] and operation [...OperationName...] and no fault routes were found to be configured."

Could you explain what was not configured properly?

Thanks.
6 Replies

Level 10
I don't understand why you go from a Event Catch to an Exception event (which throws an event).

You should just be able to catch it ans then write to the file system.

However, the error you're getting seems to be related with the way you call your process in the first place and not with the process itself.

Jasmin

Level 2
Thank you Jasmin for the reply.

We used an event because we thought it was the way to handle the exception and have access to the exception message.

If we go directly from the Catch to another activity, how can we get the exception info (type, message, ...) in that activity?

Thierry

Level 10
That's correct. I just think there is a step you don't need to do.

Let just make sure I understand what you're doing.

Are you drawing a route from the exception handler (lightning icons on the bottom right) to an exception catcher?

The thing you need to make sure you understand with the exception catcher is that it will catch every exceptions coming from every activities, coming from every processes within LiveCycle.

So usually, what I recommend is to create a separate process that will only deal with exceptions. Since the exception catcher will catch all exceptions, you can trap them and write them to the file system.

Jasmin

Level 2
Thank you Jasmin, now I understand things better.

Yes I was drawing a route from the exception handler to an exception catcher. From what you're telling me, it seems that this is not what I want, since I want to catch an exception in a specific process and deal with the exception in this process (send the exception info back to an object which is being handled in this specific process.)

Can you confirm that if I draw a route from the exception handler to an activity, there is no way to get the type and message of the exception in this activity?

Thanks,

Thierry

Level 10
"Can you confirm that if I draw a route from the exception handler to an activity, there is no way to get the type and message of the exception in this activity?"

Correct. You can use a set value and hard code the name of the exception in a variable but that's it. You won't get the full stack trace or anything.

Jasmin

Level 2
OK, now things are clear, thanks.

Thierry