Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Flex Stress Testing Framework - trouble setting up

Former Community Member
I flowed this article:
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flex_Stress_Testing_Framework
to set up the server and I keep getting compile errors that say
some of the objects I'm using can't be found. Has anyone
successfully set up the testing framework? If so, are there other
settings you need to define on the project? Thanx.
5 Replies

Level 1

help My Browser Setting status = could not connect

Level 1

I originally had that error (browser session not connecting) until I ensured that the context root of my deployed application was "lcds"

(e.g. on windows c:\lcds\tomcat\webapps\lcds\..."). This was using LCDS v3.1. Using the sample application swfs supplied with in dsstress.zip everything worked as per the documentation at http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Data_Services_Stress_Testing_Framework.

However if I take the sample load test and recompile it following the instructions (i.e. with fds.swc and dsstress.swc in the library path) then I always get a runtime error:

ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable mx.data::LocalStoreFactory is not defined.

at mx.data::DataStore()[C:\depot\DataServices\trunk\frameworks\projects\data\src\mx\data\DataStore.as:219]

at mx.data::ConcreteDataService/get dataStore()[C:\depot\DataServices\trunk\frameworks\projects\data\src\mx\data\ConcreteDataService.as:530]

at mx.data::ConcreteDataService/createItem()[C:\depot\DataServices\trunk\frameworks\projects\data\src\mx\data\ConcreteDataService.as:1069]

at mx.data::DataManager/createItem()[C:\depot\DataServices\trunk\frameworks\projects\data\src\mx\data\DataManager.as:1381]

at adobe.dsstress.client::Participant()[C:\depot\flex\qa\testframeworks\frameworks\projects\dsstress\src\adobe\dsstress\client\Participant.as:56]

at adobe.dsstress.client::LCDSTestManager()[C:\depot\flex\qa\testframeworks\frameworks\projects\dsstress\src\adobe\dsstress\client\LCDSTestManager.as:65]

I have tried with different Flex SDKs (3.4, 3.5, 4) and Flash Player versions but always get this error. I cannot find any references to LocalStoreFactory in the class documentation (in order to force it to be included in the swf). Any suggestions?

Employee

Include playerfds.swc on your library list to resolve the LocalStore class.

This may not resolve the problem if you are mixing versions as Alex notes.

Tom

Level 1

Tom, Alex

Thank you both very much for your helpful replies.

Thanks to Tom's pointer the original Stress Test tool does work with with LCDS ES 3.1 and our own Load Tests (compiled with SDK 3.5 for the record using fs.swc and playerfds.swc from LCDS 3.1)  - which is really useful for testing end-to-end latency times that include processing done in our Flex Client i.e. testing both LCDS configuration and also our Flex Client message serialisation etc (we are using Google Protocol Buffers).

The Load Test Tool that ships with LCDS ES 3.1 will be great for hammering LCDS to test our hardware/network/channel configurations.

Much appreciated

John

Employee

Hi.

The stress testing framework has only been tested with LCDS 2.6. It hasn't been updated to work with more recent versions of LCDS. Currently there are no plans to do this as LCDS now ships with a load test tool.

The load test tool that is now part of LCDS uses a different design than the old Flex stress testing framework. It uses virtual clients (implemented in Java) to put load on the server rather than actual Flex clients. This approach can scale the load to a much higher level because there are limits to how many Flex clients can be run on a single machine. With the old Flex stress testing framework, running 10 browser instances (each one running a Flex application) on a single machine was probably a reasonable limit. With the new load testing tool it should be possible to run thousands of virtual clients on a single machine.     

I'd recommend trying the new load testing tool in LCDS 3.0 and later rather than trying to get the Flex stress testing framework working.

-Alex