Expand my Community achievements bar.

Emailable XML forms

Former Community Member
Hi everyone, I am hoping somebody can shed some light on this. I am trying to better understand the software that needs to be purchased so that I can DESIGN a emailable xml form and the neccessary software (if adobe) to HOST it on a website in a Microsoft environment.

I understand that Adobe Designer will allow me to create a xml form but is it necessary to buy the entire LiveCycle suit or is there alternatives to creating and hosting one?

Thanks for any input
3 Replies

Former Community Member
You are correct ....the Designer will allow you to create the form and save it as a PDF. If you have an IIS server to host it and serve it up then there is no need for other software.

Note I suggest that you buy Acrobat Pro, it comes with a copy of Designer and the Acrobat can make your form testing (in Preview - it will make sense later) easier.

Former Community Member
Hi Paul, thanks for the information! Is it more cost effective to purchase Acrobat Pro than it is to buy LiveCycle. Also, I have been asked to compare costs with a Online 'SmartForm' Which software would you recommend for designed and hosting that?

Former Community Member
I do not know what SmartForm is so no comment there.

LiveCycle is a product family geared at the server. Acrobat is a client piece of software used for viewing and manipulating PDFs and comes with LiveCycle Designer (the tool used for creating PDF Forms). So yes Acrobat will be much much cheaper than the LiveCycle suite.