Highlighted

Can Reader users Save Form and Preserve data?

08-01-2009

I designed a form with Livecycle Designer and sent it to a few people who have Reader only. They are able to fill in the form but when they try to save it they get a message stating: "Data typed into this form will not be saved. Adobe Reader can only save a blank copy of this form."

This product seems absolutely useless if users cannot save their forms. I have to believe I've made a mistake or placed some restrictions on the form that is forcing this error. I've read in other posts that people are indeed sending forms to customers to fill out and email back. So saving from Reader must be possible right?

Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong? Thanks.

Replies

Highlighted

foleyb77

08-01-2009

You have to have Adobe Livecycle Reader Extensions. It is additional software from adobe that you purchase and install, it gives you the ability to enable a form filler to save the form data as entered.
Highlighted

foleyb77

08-01-2009

let me specify a bit more, it is software you buy and install on a machine, then you use the web interface of the software to enable features for your form. then when you distribute it to users they will have the ability to save the form with the data they entered. Hope that helps you.
Highlighted

08-01-2009

I read in another post that Acrobat Pro comes with 500 uses of this feature? I'm still a bit confused, but I do have Pro and wondered how to go about saving my form so that it can be used by anyone with Reader to save the form with their data.

Thanks for the reply.

Jim
Highlighted

foleyb77

08-01-2009

You are correct. I have not tried that method nor read much about but i do now recall reading about the feature being available through acrobat pro somehow. I am not sure if it will work for reader users? Im not sure also which book i have that discussed that option, it might be the book by j.p. Terry - creating dynamic form with adobe livecycle designer
Highlighted
Highlighted

pguerett

09-01-2009

Reader does not allow a local save by default. You can Reader Extend the form to allow (just that form) to be saved. This can be done in two ways.

1. You can Reader Extend the form in Acrobat

2. You can apply the Reader Extensions right sin LiveCycle Reader Extensions Server.
Highlighted

09-01-2009

Thanks for the response Paul Guerette. I've read several of your replies to other similar topics but couldn't extract my answer from them. Please allow me to make an observation on your reply. First, let me preface my comment with praise for you for making the effort to reply to forum posts and share your brain. The difficulty I have with your replies are that you assume we know as much as you and share your vocabulary for this product.

It's as though I asked "How do I get to Virginia"

and you reply:

1. You could drive a car; or

2. You could drive a motorbike.

Both are technically correct but you assume I know how to drive and have the directions.

Fortunately, I do know how to drive so in this case I just got in my car and figured out how to Reader Extend the form in Acrobat Pro. I could NOT figure out how to do it in LCD. For future readers here's what you can find in the Acrobat Pro Help file:

Enable Reader users to save form data:

Ordinarily, Reader users cant save filled-in copies of forms that they complete. However, you can extend rights to Reader users so they have the ability to do so. These extended rights also include the ability to add comments, use the Typewriter tool, and digitally sign the PDF.

Open a single PDF, or select one or more PDFs in a PDF Portfolio.

Choose Advanced > Extend Features In Adobe Reader.

These extended privileges are limited to the current PDF. When you create a different PDF form, you must perform this task again if you want to enable Reader users to save their own filled-in copies of that PDF.
Highlighted

16-02-2009

Hi... you can create a pdf form with live cycle as in acrobat professional and then allow users to fill in and save a copy of the form in reader... you do not need reader extensions to do this.

what you must do is open the form in professional and then click on the "advanced" menu and select "enable user rights in adobe reader" from the list. a window will ask for your ok to save the form... when you click " Save Now" you will have the option of renaming the pdf or leaving it the same. WHen the saved form is opened in reader 8 or above... the user will be able to fill in the form, and save the form and print it with the data they entered intact.