Highlighted

Flowing text onto a second page

10-09-2008

I have a form where I am pasting text in a subform (occupies an entire page) a lot of text. Everything works fine when the pasted text is more then one page and I get scrolling bar at the right and a black and white + at the bottom right. The problem is I want the text to be flowed on to the next page. This is needed because the form may need to be printed and faxed sometimes.

I have tried several tricks but so far I have not stumbled upon a good solution!

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

Highlighted

pguerett

10-09-2008

Having a field scroll across a page margin is not possible in anything before version 9. Are you using version 9 or something earlier.
Highlighted

pguerett

12-09-2008

I was refering to the version of Designer that ships with Acrobat 9 (it is actually 8.2). Then you woudl need Acrobat/Reader 9 to handle the new break.
Highlighted

12-09-2008

This actually is possible with Acrobat 7 and 8. You can prove it out with the following step-by-step procedures:

- Create a new form with a single body page. Save it as a Dynamic PDF form.

- Drag and drop a text field onto the page. Select the option to "Allow Multiple Lines". Also, make sure "Expand to Fit" is checked for the Y direction on the Layout pallette.

- Set your body page to be a "Flowed" content subform (it is "Positioned" by default)

- Do a PDF Preview. Enter enough text to span multiple pages. When you click out of the field, it will wrap across multiple pages.

Hope this helps!

Justin Klei

Cardinal Solutions Group
Highlighted

12-09-2008

Justin - Thanks for your suggestion! It works - again only in a new form. In the form I am working on with a bunchof other objects the "Allow Page Breaks within content" is greyed out and I think that is the difference! But I have no idea why that check box is greyed out! I have tried manipulating a bunch of properties but nothing changes!

Paul - I am now convinced that I have the most current versions including all the updates for LC ES 8.2 that came with my Acrobat Pro Extended (v9.0.0)and Acrobat Reader (v9.0.0)
Highlighted

pguerett

12-09-2008

To allow page breaks to happen your content has to be in a flowed subform. Are you using flowed or position subforms?
Highlighted

12-09-2008

I am using flowed subform. I used Justin's approach and it works fine on a "virgin" new form but the same settings do not work in the form I sent you. I just get a + at the bottom right hand corner. I have spent a couple of hours trying many combinations including deleting the old page and inserting a new page, add new subform and the text box and I end up with the +at bottom right.