Expand my Community achievements bar.

Attention: Experience League Community will undergo scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, August 20th between 10-11 PM PDT. During this time, the Community and its content will not be accessible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Automatic PDF to XDP conversion

Former Community Member
Hello,

Is there a way I can programatically generate an XDP from a PDF using livecycle or any other tool? I have looked at the XPAAJ library but was VERY disappointed with the XDP file it exports. Not only is it all encoded in a binary "chunk", but it doens't even load in lifecycle.

I essentially want to convert my PDF to readable XDP, identical to what happens when you use "Save as XDP" in lifecycle designer. The only problem is that I need to do this automatically, without manually opening livecycle etc.

Thanks for any help,

Evan
5 Replies

Former Community Member
Hi Evan,

Not sure if i understood your requirement - Do you want to generate the XDP data file ? If so, then you need nothing but a java program which can generate a XML file .

PDF template + XDP (data binds to fields in PDF template during runtime)= Data filled PDF file.

Open the PDF template in Acrobat livecycle Designer adn enter some sample test data in the file. Do a save as of the sample data as XDP.

Using this XDP file as a boiler plate template generate XDP fiile using a java program ( just the way you wud generate a XML file ).

Hope this helps

Regards

Samant

Former Community Member
I think you misunderstood what I am asking for. XDP is short for Xml Data Package and is adobe's xml representation for a PDF form. There exists a "Save as XDP" in lifecycle designer, but this is a manual step. I have the need to generate XDP for thousands of PDFs, and hence manual conversion isn't a scalable option.

Your reply talks about saving data, I think you are thinking of XFDF which is an XML format for saving data in a PDF.

Thanks for trying to help,

Evan Worley

Level 6
Hi,

I think you could try some API from Adobe or a 3 party API as itext. I think itext can extract the xdp structure of the PDF. Not sure, however.

Former Community Member
Hello,

I actually have the reverse problem. I have completed XDP forms that I need to programatically convert to static or flattened (in the case of a Dynamic XDP Form) PDF files.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Former Community Member
Did anyone ever find a solution for extracting the XDP structure from a PDF? I need to be able to read the schema embedded within the file (ideally a C# solution).