Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

A simple one: Save function does not work when a client is trying to save a form on his desktop i cr

Former Community Member
Hi, i have created a simple form in live cycle designer with just some fields the cleint can enter infomartion into.

when ever they then open the PDf to fill in the fields, they can never save it, it seems to be the case everytime i make a form in live cycle designer. the documnet has no security settings on, and i cannot find anywhere else to enable/disable saving the documnet.

Can anyone help?

thanks.
7 Replies

Former Community Member
in case it assist the question further i believe its with a basic version of adobe reader the problem happens. Can you only save a PDF documnet with form fileds inputted if you have the professional version etc?

i just opened the from in adobe reader 8 and it said at the top that ' i can fill in the information, but i cannot save the data within the form'

Former Community Member
Ben,

You are half correct with your thinking. The problem is two fold. The basic Adobe Reader program will only allow a user to view a form in all reality. Yes you can fill it in and print it, but saving the completed form is not something Reader is allowed to do on its own. The exception to this is having a Reader Extended form. A reader extended form has been given additional rights that allows the basic version of reader to perform additional tasks, that normally require Adobe Acrobat to accomplish. In order to be able to save your completed form you will need to either open the form with Adobe Acrobat, or reader extend the form first if you are going to do the same thing with Reader.

Former Community Member
You can do this. Open the form in Adobe Professional and go to Advanced/Enable User Rights In Adobe Reader then hit Save Now. The form will now be set up so that someone with just Adobe Reader can save the form when they fill it in

Former Community Member
ben squared...did you ever get a reasonalbe solution to your question? i think i'm trying to do the same or similar thing. i have a form with 12 text fields to be filled in by user. i want to have a save (SAVEAS, actually) button. i want my user to fill in the form & click the save button. i've tried several different jscript arguements for "click or onClick" but none want to work to save the form as just c:\x.pdf. ultimately i want to save the completed form as "textfield1.value+textfield2.value".pdf. so if tf1 & tf2 are AAA000 & 11111B respectively, i want to save this completed form as AAA00011111B.pdf. any luck?

Level 2
Hey Super Dave,

Did you have any luck with this?

If not, I'd like to see if I can help:

Where do you wish to save the PDF to?

Do you perhaps wish to submit it via email?

Zoe

Level 2
You can also "Reader Extend" the form to enable the form for use in Reader. Of course, you must be licensed for Reader Extensions. The Reader contains lots of capability that is turned off without reader extensions.

Level 4
If I'm not mistaken, the "saveAs" function takes the name file for the file to be saved from the form name, and as far as I know, there's no way to programmatically change that. The user, can, however, change the file name to anything s/he wants in when in the "File, Save As" dialog box.