Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Does CDP converts the Data Type of the Source as Set up in the Schema?

Level 4

Hi Team,

If Snowflake is the source connection to CDP and LoginDate field is a Varchar in snowflake View 'ABC' - when dataflow is created for the View ABC to ABC Schema in CDP, and the data type of field LoginDate is set up as DateTime in Schema.. will CDP automatically convert the data type of that Varchar field in source to DateTime in CDP during ingestion?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @mansibedi Yes, AEP doesn't perform any conversion on data type here. You can request the source team to change the datatype for the date field. Also, wondering that did you get any error on mapping these fields? would like to know. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 2

Ingestion wont convert the string automatically, during the ingestion there is option to add calculated field, using the data prep function and then assign the schema field to the calculated fields

Example:

Syntax: date(DATE, FORMAT, DEFAULT_DATE) 

e.g.date(“2019-10-23 11:24”, “yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm”, now())

I hope this would be helpful.

Community Advisor

Hi @mansibedi  - CDP doesn't perform any conversion. However, in your scenario it shouldn't be any issue as it was already a "DateTime" field and dataflow will be sooth from snowflake. 

@jayakrishnaaparthasarathy  the DateTime field is in CDP, but in the source data (snowflake in this case) - the data value is a Varchar. So CDP won't perform conversion in this case i believe? 

Snowflake View ABC -----------------------> source ingestion ----->  CDP Schema ABC 

(field name - loginDate)                                                              (field name - loginDate) 

(data type - varchar)                                                                   (data type - DateTime)

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @mansibedi Yes, AEP doesn't perform any conversion on data type here. You can request the source team to change the datatype for the date field. Also, wondering that did you get any error on mapping these fields? would like to know.