Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

unique visitor ID in mobile app

Level 2

Hello,

recently I saw the following information about setting the unique ID for unique visitors in mobile apps.

"The SDK generates a unique visitor ID when an app is installed. This app visitor ID is stored within persistent memory on the mobile device and is sent with every hit. The app visitor ID is removed only when the user uninstalls the app (app visitor IDs persist through upgrades)."

source: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/mobile/ios/hybrid_app.html

I try to figure out, whether when user clear app cache or data, visitor ID remains unchanged? I am curious because in our mobile application we register a suspicious number of new unique visitors...

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,

Adrian

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

@Adrian, @Tanmay - 

It is accurate that a delete and reinstall of the app will cause a new visitor to be generated.  

I need to clarify that while clearing app cache will not cause a new Visitor ID to be created, clearing app data will result in a new Visitor ID being created.  Also worth noting that the SDK uses no information about the device when generating the Visitor ID.

Sorry for the confusion.  Hope this helps.

steve benedick

sr mobile software engineer

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Level 10

Hi Adrian,

Yes, the uinque ID will remain unchanged when a user clears app cache or data. The ID is a combination of Device ID and identifier from SDK. Let me know if thats helpful. Thanks!

Tanmay

Level 2

Thank you Tanmay.

So I can assume that a new app unique vistor is registered only when application is reinstall, right?

Best,

Adrian

Level 10

Hi Adrian, 

Yes, when a user un-installs the app and re-installs it later, a new unique visitor ID will be created. But If your app opens mobile web content, you need to take extra steps to ensure that visitors are not separately identified as they move between the native and mobile web. You can view this documentation to ensure that - https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/mobile/android/hybrid_app.html

Thanks!

Tanmay

Level 2

You are right Tanmay!

Thank you for your support.

Best,

Adrian

Correct answer by
Employee

@Adrian, @Tanmay - 

It is accurate that a delete and reinstall of the app will cause a new visitor to be generated.  

I need to clarify that while clearing app cache will not cause a new Visitor ID to be created, clearing app data will result in a new Visitor ID being created.  Also worth noting that the SDK uses no information about the device when generating the Visitor ID.

Sorry for the confusion.  Hope this helps.

steve benedick

sr mobile software engineer

Level 10

Hey Steve, 

Thanks for jumping in here and bringing in clarity on this concept. Appreciate that a lot! 

Tanmay

Level 2

Thank you Steve.

Could you please just explain what do you mean by: "Also worth noting that the SDK uses no information about the device when generating the Visitor ID." ?

Adrian

Employee

In an earlier post in this thread (that post appears to have been deleted?), it was stated that the Visitor ID was partially generated using information specific to the device.  

I simply wanted to clarify that device information is not a part of the process used to generate a Visitor ID.

-steveb

Level 2

Thank you Steve - now it's clear.

Adrian

Level 1

Hello,

I have one question regarding to the user, who want to install the app from Cloud for the case of new Phone.

Could some people tell me, should be also new user ID created?

Thanks

Cheers, Xu

Level 1

Hi all! I have a doubt similar to the initial one but the answers do not clarify my doubt. Checking the metrics of unique visitor and first lauches since I launched my app today I have more unique visitor than first launches, what is it?

Level 1

Hi all  - Is there anyway to make sure the visitor ID remains consistent when a user comes to the app from mobile web ? This is the journey. I

1. I have a micro site (desktop and mobile web)
  2. Users come to this site, click on download via app store or google play
  3. They go to the respective apps store and download the app
  4. Launch the app and start using it

Just wondering how I can make sure that the visitor ID remains consistent across all these steps. Appreciate your thoughts and guidance on this.

Regards,

Rahul